Sunday, February 05, 2006

My January Reading

Well, I finally picked up a copy of CRISS CROSS by Lynne Rae Perkins--the Newbery Award winner this year. Actually, I can already see why it was the winner. Lots of interesting pieces to it. I'll let you know what I think when I finish. I also picked up THE THIEF by Megan Whalen Turner. Have you read it? I saw that the 3rd in the series has a starred review from Hornbook this month and I have been meaning to read this first one. Looks like a great fantasy.

My favorite children's book read in January was WING NUT by M. J. Auch. If I had read it before the awards were announced, it would have definitely been on my list of predictions. A great read. I am thinking that it would make an amazing read aloud for 4th and 5th grades. I may read it aloud later this year.

I also finished SO B. IT by Sarah Weeks. Loved it. I am in a book club to discuss it with some of my 5th graders. From the comments that I am getting before we meet, it is one of their all-time favorites. I can see why. An amazing story with characters I love.

I also read ME, DEAD DAD, AND ALCATRAZ by Chris Lynch. I liked it. It is definitely for middle schoolers. Loved the main character and I like Lynch's writing.

I could use a good adult book. I am hooked on Philippa Gregory but am not in the mood for another of her books yet. Mary Lee, any suggestions? I am thinking about BIRTH OF VENUS. Have you read it? (Tracy Chevalier liked it and I trust her reading list completely!) Also, I still have RED TENT on my stack of next reads--it's been there for years. Have you read that one? I think I'll love it once I can get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.