Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Truthiness

Franki, are you sick of me sending you clippings from USA Today about the "Strange Case of James Frey -- as Dickens might have termed it"?

That quote is from the newest one that is on its way to you through the "pony." ERICA JONG has weighed in as an author who wrote a piece of memoirish fiction that was labeled fiction, unlike Frey's backward approach in which his fictionish memoir was labeled memoir.

The punch of her essay is at the end, when she talks about how "the American language has been utterly polluted from the top down."

Let me know what you think.

On the topic of what to read, you're clearly ahead of me on new kids' books, so I won't even go there. The best adult book I've ever read (audio book-style) that not many other people seem to know about is CLOUD ATLAS. I have a print copy that I could send to you, but I don't know what the print experience of reading would be like. I'm just finishing up KITE RUNNER (way behind the rest of the world I have discovered this story). I would definitely recommend THE RED TENT. I think a culturally sanctioned, once-a-month time out for women is a good idea on so many levels. That's all I'll say. The book is about way more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.