Monday, August 13, 2007

The House Takes a Vacation by Jacqueline Davies

I am always looking for books with word play to share with my students. Often, the humor in language often goes right past them when they don't realize how playful language can be. I have books like Agatha's Featherbed and Tough Cookie in my classroom library. Sharing these books filled with puns, gives students new ways to think about words and often this shows up in their own writing.

THE HOUSE TAKES A VACATION by Jacqueline Davies is one that I am happy to add to my collection (thanks to Marshall Cavendish Children's Books). What a find! The concept is a fun one--a family takes a vacation so the house decides to do the same. The chimney complains in a "smoky voice". The roof is sore after the long trip and says, "Man, am I sore. I feel like I've got shingles." This picture book is full of puns and word play--new things for readers to discover with every reread. (I am still finding things I missed during the first few reads!)

The illustrations add to the fun of the book--they are done by Lee White.

Definitely worth checking out to add to your word study basket if you teach middle to upper elementary grades.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:43 PM

    Did the lovely workers at Cover to Cover help you find this piece of fine literature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Davies' book looks great. Thanks! I'll go lookin' for that one.

    Jules, 7-Imp

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.