Saturday, May 10, 2008

Graphic Novel Week

Elsewhere in the Kidlitosphere it's all about Vampires this month, in honor of FirstSecond's Vampire Month.  

Here at A Year of Reading, we are going to veer off on our own tangent by celebrating Graphic Novel Week, with or without the vampires.  

Here's the line-up:

Saturday, May 10 -- Jeff Smith and Scott McCloud will give a talk at Mershon Auditorium as the opener to Smith's exhibit "Before Bone" at the OSU Cartoon Research Library.

Sunday, May 11 -- Mary Lee will report on Saturday's event.

Monday, May 12 -- Franki will review Terry Thompson's new book Adventures in Graphica: Using Comics and Graphic Novels to Teach Comprehension, 2-6.

Tuesday, May 13 -- Franki's interview with Terry Thompson.

Wednesday and Thursday, May 14-15 -- Mary Lee reviews several new graphic novels and ponders how graphic novels have impacted the reading of her students this year.

Friday, May 16 -- Will Graphic Novel Week and Poetry Friday converge?  Stay tuned to find out!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:04 AM

    What a great idea!
    I just spent yesterday with my sixth graders, talking about graphic novels and comics (and using the last Time for Kids cover story as an intro) as we prepare to create digital books.
    One of my student's dad is a published comic book artist, so he is coming in soon to talk with all four of my classes about the art, and why it is an art and not just some throw-away entertainment.
    I look forward to the posts this week at your site.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like a great week, Mary Lee and Franki. I can't wait to read these posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:34 PM

    I'm so excited about Graphic Novel week -- I recently read one of my first graphic novels (Coraline) and loved it. I've been searching for more to read and enjoy and can't wait to see the books/topics that you write about!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.