Wednesday, June 25, 2008

OTTOLINE and the YELLOW CAT


OTTOLINE AND THE YELLOW CAT is a GREAT find! At our blogger's breakfast a few weeks ago, I had already checked out when Beth brought over a stack of new books she thought we'd like. I was shopped out and didn't pay much attention, even when Karen from Literate Lives mentioned that it seemed like a great book. I finally took a look at it and had to go to the check out desk one more time. So, Karen gets full credit for this find.

I had forgotten about it until Katie from Creative Literacy mentioned that she and her son were reading it and loving it. So, she gets full credit for me actually reading it!

As I am trying to catch up on reading this week (the story of my life), I spent lots of the day Saturday, reading this book. There are supposed to be 3 in the series, but I am hoping for many, many more.

Ottoline is a fun character--a bit like Pippi Longstocking in that she seems to live alone-her traveling parents seem to love her. She is well-cared for by Mr. Monroe--a funny, hairy character--and a team of people who take care of things at the house. Ottoline is an interesting girl--strong and curious with lots of interesting traits. And she loves disguises! Ottoline has two interesting collections which you will learn about if you read the book. And she loves to solve puzzles.

The book is not quite a graphic novel but the illustrations tell quite a bit of the story. The text combine with illustrations on every page. The illustrations are black and white with a bit of red. The illustrations really bring the characters to life.

I am not usually a big fan of mysteries for young readers. It is a hard genre for kids--figuring out clues that add up to solving a mystery. But this is a PERFECT mystery for elementary kids. The clues are there but they can easily be missed or picked up by 8 and 9 year olds. And it makes sense at the end. I so hate those mysteries that never quite fit together. This one is perfect.

I can see a variety of kids liking this book. I think it will appeal to both boys and girls. It is a fun book with great picture support for kids new to chapter books. It is also interesting enough for older kids. I can see kids reading this from 2nd through 5th grade.

There seem to be 2 more books about Ottoline coming soon. Can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:18 PM

    I've never heard of this but I'm putting it on the list for my girls! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:53 PM

    When I read your review, I went out and bought the book right away. I just finished reading it and thought it was great. I can really see my 3rd graders loving this book. I think they'll love reading the notes Ottoline writes in her journal along with the various sketches she draws (not to mention all of the postcards that are included).
    Thanks,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:15 AM

    Good Job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.