Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Two From First Second

Life Sucks
by Jessica Abel
First Second, 2008
ages 12 and up
review copy compliments of the publisher
Book #2 -- 48 Hour Book Challenge 2008

Dave Miller works the night shift at the Last Stop convenience store. Dave is a vampire and the Last Stop is a 24-hour convenience store for LA's vampire community. Dave has his eye on a cute goth girl who hangs out at the juice bar down the strip mall, but unfortunately, so does Wes, a studly blond vampire surfer dude.

Not a book I'll put in my classroom collection. This book was a stretch for me. Vampires and "who's going to get the girl" are not my things. I'll pass this book on to a teen who is into the Twilight series.


Three Shadows
by Cyril Pedrosa
First Second, 2008
ages 12 and up
review copy compliments of the publisher
Book #3 -- 48 Hour Book Challenge 2008

This is a scary book.

From the jacket flap:
"What price would you pay to save your child?

For the parents in this powerful, visually stunning graphic novel, the threat to their son is both real and frighteningly vague. Three shadows loom, and wherever the family flees, the shadows follow. Is escape impossible? Are parents even meant to try?"

Also not one for my classroom, but I'm glad I read it. Graphic novels never cease to amaze me. They can be light and fluffy, or they can be deep and thought-provoking. There's something for everyone in the graphic novel format!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.