Friday, May 22, 2009

Poetry Friday

TEACHER
by Tracy Vaughn Zimmer
from STEADY HANDS: POEMS ABOUT WORK

Everyone knows
the teacher's tasks:
creating bulletin-board displays
writing challenging tests
preparing perfect lessons
instructing, demonstrating, explaining.

But not everyone knows
the teacher's secret torments:
a lesson that knotted understanding
a bright kid who refuses to be inspired
flames of words thrown in frustration --

all heavier
to haul home
than the papers, projects, and lessons
bulging out of her bag.


I dedicate this poem to all the teachers who are finishing up the school year, completing final assessments, recording data, working on report cards, and going to camp (that would be me and my team yesterday and today). Thank you to Tracy Vaughn Zimmer who got our job right in her poem.

The Poetry Friday Round Up today is at Susan Writes.

5 comments:

  1. All I'm saying is "This poem is hitting home this week." Thanks for the words, Mary Lee. (And Tracy Vaughn Zimmer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tracy's book, and this particular poem hit home with me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lee,

    Teachers are easy targets for criticism these days. Few people comprehend all the things they do to help children learn and grow.
    Three cheers for teachers like you and Franki!

    BTW, you should be receiving two packages in the mail from me soon. I put them in the mail earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ML -- Perfect poem to share! Love Zimmer's words.

    You are an inspiration to me -- being able to remember poems that speak to you about different topics -- that's quite a gift. And I, for one, am glad you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes ... I'm the wife of a teacher, and so much is hauled home from that building in so many ways ....

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.