Friday, August 14, 2009

Poetry Friday -- Back to School

Best wishes for a fabulous school year!


Promises
by Angela Maiers

Dear Teacher,

Love me,
Make me feel special,
Make me feel included,
Make me feel valued,

Smile for me,
Tell me that you're happy to see me,
Tell me that you're happy to teach me,
Tell me that you're happy I am here.

Involve me,
Tell me about our work together
Tell me how I can be of help and mean it genuinely

Notice me,
See all of me,
See my emotions, my laughter my curiosity, my anticipation
See my right, and I will work on the "wrongs"

(the rest of the poem is here)



The round up this week is at a wrung sponge.

* * * * * * * * * *

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must reveal that I did not create the TextFlow of the Emily Dickinson poem that I shared last week for Poetry Friday. I found it, right there with her poem, on the Poets.org site. Look here for all of the poems on their site that are animated with TextFlow. And yes, if you are so inclined, you will someday be able to try it for yourself.

11 comments:

  1. That was a great poem for the start of the year. Good reminders to reflect upon so that we do not get so caught up in the busyness that we forget to take the time for building relationships with students and a foundation for a classroom community from the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow just wow. Isn't that exactly what a teacher should do? Had a conversation recently with my former grad school prof about this....how just To Be Noticed is what really matters. All educational philosophies and programs aside---and all the arguing over which is the best to use---just please, please notice them and treat them with love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poem. SO, so important. "See all of me." Have a wonderful school year, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a wonderful poem to share with my staff as we begin another year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:29 PM

    Man - your post is about a month early for me. My kids don't go back to school until September 8th! (Oh, the horror!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:34 PM

    I'm with Jama. It was the "See all of me" that really clobbered me. And now I'm sort of a puddle... in a good way, mostly. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Mrs. V -- community.

    Yes, yes, yes, Jules -- to be NOTICED.

    Yes, Jama, yes, Liz -- see ALL of EVERY child.

    Yes, Jone -- share it and live it together.

    Yes, Kelly -- our kids come August 25, just over a week from now! (eep!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:47 AM

    Oh for more teachers that would take that to heart. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best wishes for a fabulous school year for you, too, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mm, simple poem, but it means deeper than I hope before, nice poem, I still read now, for teacher, mm, I like this, really like. Nice post, oh, may be you want to see my blog too, please visit me..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Franki and Mary Lee-

    Thank you so very much for sharing the Promise poem with your readers.

    It is my hope that the voices of the amazing children who inspired these words extend out and create new conversations in classrooms all over.

    You two are simply amazing. Thank you for sharing your passion, learning, and inspirational words with us all!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.