Monday, November 30, 2009

Books in My Shopping Bag

Between NCTE and my trip to Cover to Cover today, I have lots of books that I am hoping to read in the next several weeks. Here are a few that are on the top of my pile:

CLAIM TO FAME by Margaret Peterson Haddix--I was so excited to see a new book by Haddix. I haven't been paying attention to new releases so I wasn't even aware that this was coming. This does not look to be part of any series that Haddix is so famous for. It is a stand-alone book that reviews say is for ages 9-12. From the inside flap, it sounds like the book is about a girl who is a TV star and then she realize that she can hear anything that anyone says about her. This become quite awful so she goes into hiding. I love all of Haddix's books and I think the 4th and 5th graders at school will be thrilled to see a new book by Haddix!

I am going to give myself permission to read more YA this year. I love it but always feel like I should be reading children's books that make sense for our K-5 library instead of YA. But this year, I plan to give more time to reading YA--just because I love it and I think YA books are some of the best out there. Two that I have been hearing a lot about, that I picked up today are THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner and CROSSING STONES by Helen Frost. I am a huge Helen Frost fan and Mary Lee cannot stop recommending CROSSING STONES so I picked it up. And THE MAZE RUNNER is another one I keep hearing about. I love the whole concept of this book-a closed-off world where kids enter. I keep hearing that this is one of those books that you can't put down once you start it so I am anxious to read it!


BUCK FEVER by Cynthia Chapman Willis caught my eye for several reasons. First of all, the cover is intriguing. A boy hunting for a deer, but clearly not shooting it. When I read the inside flap, the premise reminded me a bit of Wringer--a boy's father wants him to carry on the tradition of hunting but the boy (Joey) isn't interested in hunting and can't imagine killing an animal. This sounds like a great story about a boy growing up.

Another book I picked up was WILLIAM S. AND THE GREAT ESCAPE by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. This one is about four children who run away-to their aunt's house. It looks like this book is about their runaway adventure and their journey for a home and a family.

And, finally, I picked up LOVE YA BUNCHES by Lauren Myracle. It is one that I have been seeing a lot--definitely marketed to upper elementary girls. The inside format is fun and it looks like a great book about friendship.

I am sure I will add many more to my list before winter break begins but these are a starting point. Now, if I didn't need to do any holiday shopping, baking etc., I'd be set! I doubt Ill get as much reading time as I am hoping but I have plenty to read for the time I do get!


4 comments:

  1. Oh read away! I get the same way, tend to limit my reading to the types of books I blog about, but I'm "letting" myself read more adult fiction now.

    Wish I could have attended NCTE! Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:34 AM

    I wish I could have attended NCTE, too, but we just went to ISACS, so...Anyway, definitely give The Maze Runner a try. It's interesting speculative fiction (my fave), though, as I said in my review on my blog, it does leave you hanging in a sort of ridiculous way at the end.
    Would you be interested in having our classes collaborate on a project at some point? What are your plans for the second half of the year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know why my profile # showed up instead of my name on the last comment. Sorry about that!
    Stacy (http://somenovelideas.typepad.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations. I finished Love ya Bunches and Claim to Fame this weekend and enjoyed them both. Claim to Fame rocked! I can't wait to share it tomorrow with my Haddix fans. Next up is Letters to a Soldier.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.