Sunday, May 02, 2010

April Mosaic





























April began with cupcakes and ended with guacamole.

The oak flowers looked so dainty against the blue sky when they were new. Then they streaked my car yellow with pollen and now there are so many on the ground that we will rake up gobs and mounds.

In answer to your question, yes, I wrote a poem yesterday, and no, I'm not going to post it here.

I do, however, have a few final observations about my NaPoMo poems. Remember the one-word poem? Did you follow the link to David R. Slavitt's poem? Did you realize that the discussion questions were part of my parody?

And that sprouting apple seed? I found it INSIDE my apple when I cored it. As much as I liked the poem it inspired, I was far more impressed with the idea of a pre-sprouted apple seed. I have planted it in a small pot on my windowsill and I anxiously await its reappearance.

The "If-You-Were" poetry form is the one that has inspired the best writing from my students. We will continue writing a poem a day for each other this coming week -- we have four friends left whose names haven't been picked yet. In the end, we will have written close to 300 poems total.

As the school year winds down and the students get itchy for summer, it is sometimes hard to get them to be smart and thoughtful (not to mention hardworking and productive). I will keep the Xs in the sky in my heart to remind me of the creative potential that exists in every child if they have the time to look and if I take the time to listen.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and reflective post. I loved reading this and remembering all of April with you, Mary Lee.
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post and mosaic! You and Ronald Mcdonald look like best buds. Cupcakes and guacamole, and students still writing poems, and remembering all the ones you posted = bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reflection is elegant. Congrats on setting a writing goal and accomplishing it. You have inspired many, I am sure and have been a great role model.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.