Thursday, February 17, 2011

FUN NEW WORD PLAY PICTURE BOOK

Six Sheep Sip Thick Shakes: And Other Tricky Tongue Twisters (Exceptional Reading & Language Arts Titles for Primary Grades)I picked up a copy of SIX SHEEP SIP THICK SHAKES AND OTHER TRICKY TONGUE TWISTERS by Brian P. Cleary at Cover to Cover last week. It is filled with fun tongue twisters.  The matching illustrations add to the fun.  This would be a great book just for fun or a great book to have to invite students to play with words as part of word study.

The tongue twisters are silly, as tongue twisters are.  My favorite from this book is, "Fred frowned and fled frantically when he found the flounder in his bed."  Try saying that one 3 times!

One of my favorite parts about this book is the last page.  The author invites readers to write their own tongue twisters. I love that the author explains how tongue twisters work and then give kids specific sound combinations that make effective tongue twisters.  I love how much support this gives kids in trying to create tongue twisters on their own.  I think lots of kids will have fun with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.