Tuesday, April 12, 2011

PEACEFUL PIECES: POEMS AND QUILTS ABOUT PEACE by Anna Grossnickle Hines

Peaceful Pieces: Poems and Quilts About PeaceWhile in San Antonio this weekend. we visited the local independent children's bookstore, Twig. I always like to visit bookstores in different cities. Even though we have the best children's bookstore here in Columbus (Cover to Cover), I know that other stores might have books by local authors and other things I may have missed.  I always find a few little surprises when I go to bookstores while traveling.

PEACEFUL PIECES is a poetry book that I picked up in San Antonio.  I was so excited to see this book. I don't know the author so I think it was the idea of peace that drew me in.  This book is amazing. It gives readers to much to think about. The book is filled with poems around the idea of peace.  And the author, Anna Grossnickle Hines looks at the idea of peace from so many angles.  Some poems ask questions like, "What If?". Others celebrate peacemakers in history. (Additional biographical information on the peacemakers is included on the last page of the book.)  Still others deal with the kind of peace that children can truly relate to--peace in the home, with siblings, etc.  This is a brilliant book. Not only is the quilt art amazing, but the poems are written in a way that are powerful and also accessible to children. I love that it gives readers so many ways to think about peace.

This is definitely a poetry book I am excited to add to my collection!



Carol at Carol's Corner has also reviewed this book.  She has some other great links in her post. I so love that we seem to have discovered this book at the same time!

3 comments:

  1. I need this book in my collection. I also love visiting independent bookstores in faraway locations especially because my small village lacks one. I'm glad you found something so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS BOOK! Have been sharing it all week with kids! They love it too. Lots of rich conversations and long silences! You also need to look for WINTERLIGHTS and SEASONS by Anna Grossnickle Hines for more poems and quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Anna's poetry /quilt books! I'm delighted that you discovered her works of art!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.