Wednesday, October 26, 2011

YA Books I've Enjoyed

I love Young Adult Literature but I don't have time to read a ton of it. Keeping up with K-5 books takes up most of my reading life. But I LOVE YA so I try to read several each year.   Last year, I attended ALAN at NCTE and that helped get me a bit more up-to-date on the new titles and authors out there.   I looked back at my Goodreads account and I've read about a dozen YA Novels over the last year or so.  I feel like I've been lucky with my YA reads this year.  If you are looking for some great YA, here are some of the ones I've enjoyed this year:

MATCHED by Ally Condie was a favorite this year. My 12 year old and I both loved this one.

 We are VERY excited about the sequel, CROSSED, which comes out next week.

SHINE by Lauren Myracle was a powerful read.  Not an easy read but an important book.

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN was a unique read and the way it was put together was fascinating.  The real photos embedded through the book made the book seem real.  A great fantasy.

A MONSTER CALLS by Patrick Ness is another powerful read.  It was the first book I'd read by this author and I am hooked.

THE PULL OF GRAVITY by Gae Polisner is another favorite.

And I LOVED my most recent YA Read, THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson.

Two others I loved were CHIME by Franny Billingsley and ALSO KNOWN AS ROWAN POHI by Ralph Fletcher.


  1. Hey there -
    I'm DESPERATELY looking for books that have 5th grade appropriate content yet a high school reading level. Would any of these fit the bill do you think? I have a sizable group of VERY VERY high readers in my 4/5 combo class and am struggling to find books where the vocabulary will challenge them but the content isn't too advanced! :) Thanks!

  2. Hi Jody,
    I feel like these books are definitely YA and I wouldn't share any with 5th grade without reading them first. I don't have any of these titles in our K-5 library because they all have some kind of more mature content. I put this site together for my 5th grade Newbery Club--it highlights some new Newbery worthy books. Maybe this list will help?

  3. Awesome! Thanks!

  4. Thank you, Franki. I'm so honored to be included in your favorites.


We welcome your contribution to the conversation!