Monday, August 27, 2012

IT'S MONDAY! WHAT ARE YOU READING?


Thanks to Kellee and Jen at TEACH MENTOR TEXTS for hosting. Pop over there to see everyone's lists.

It's not been a huge reading week. Getting ready for the first day of school has pretty much consumed me this week. But I did fit in a little bit of reading here and there.  I've been thinking a lot about nonfiction reading and trying to find books that might make good read alouds or that kids might read that feel a little more like narrative. I find that these books discourage skimming and scanning and kids build stamina with nonfiction with nonfiction narrative.

A book I LOVED this week was Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman by Esme Raji Codell is one of the best books about Johnny Appleseed that I have read. This is a gorgeous picture book that shares the stories and legends about this man.  I liked the writing in this one as well as the messages to readers. And the art is gorgeous.

I am a HUGE fan of the Scientists in the Field Series and one that I dug into this week was Extreme Scientists: Exploring Nature's Mysteries from Perilous Places (Scientists in the Field Series). This book takes a look at several scientists who work in dangerous places to do research needed.  I enjoyed the story about the storm chaser and I think my students will too. It really shows the research happen when it comes to weather.

Citizen Scientists: Be a Part of Scientific Discovery from Your Own Backyard by Lorree Griffin Burns was another that I think will be a great cover-to-cover read.  It tells the story of people who participate in collecting data right in their own areas. The message that everyone is a scientist is a good one.

And a new professional book I just received in the mail that I am anxious to start is Christopher Lehman's Energize Research Reading and Writing: Fresh Strategies to Spark Interest, Develop Independence, and Meet Key Common Core Standards, Grades 4-8. I'm not sure I'll have time to get to it in the next week or two with school starting but I am hoping to dig in soon!



6 comments:

  1. Extreme Scientists looks like the kind of books both of my kids would love. I'll have to see if our library has that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice books! Extreme Scientists is great, but I really loved Citizen Scientists. I thought it was one of the best science books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:59 PM

    I've heard great things about your non-fiction scientist books. Photo-filled books like that are always a hit with kids. Can't wait to check them out!

    --Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like hearing about the non-fiction books-good choices for some students! And good to see another Johnny Appleseed book for kids. It looks good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get my hands on Energize...and find the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this was an expensive post to read! Seed by Seed is definitely going on my list and I want to hear about Energize! I'll pass along the science books, as well. Thanks, Franki!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.