Thursday, April 03, 2014

Hi, Koo! A Year of Seasons


I had not taken the time to look Hi, Koo!: A Year of Seasons until spring break. It was on display at Cover to Cover. I didn't plan to love it, but when I opened it up, I did! I fell in love immediately.  My poetry shelves are too full these days so I am trying not to add lots more poetry until I take time to weed. I have hundreds of poetry books and so I'm being very picky about the ones I add to the shelves. But this one was a must-have.

I love great Haiku for kids. I find that it is a fun type of poetry to play with--a comfy way to get them to move beyond rhyming poems and still have a ball.  I also think there is so much learning when you are playing with writing a haiku.  Syllables, word choice, message in so few words are all amazing writing lessons. So, when I find a great book of haiku that is accessible to young children, I am happy! And who could not love the cute panda? This book makes me happy.

The poems in this book (one per page) follow the seasons through a year.  A few poems per season capture the things outside as well as common activities for the season.  There are haikus that are more serious and some that are more humorous.  The variety of poems in this book will naturally create invitations for young poetry writers.

Love this book and can't wait to share it with kids. I have not been so good about embedding poetry this year and this book reminds me why it is so important and fun to make time for poetry.  So glad I finally took a good look at this new favorite!

5 comments:

  1. Jon J Muth can do no wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this from the library and would love a copy. I agree it's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will have to find this one!! Looks like one I would like a lot. I cannot imagine weeding out poetry books! I am going to gift someone with a great collection some day. I hope I find the just right person when it is time! I also love your Coliseum poem!
    Janet F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw this in our book order for this month. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, another must-have?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.