Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Blogging in the Classroom: Thinking Ahead to Fall

I've been thinking about how best to kick off Writing Workshop in the fall. With all of the new digital tools and all of the possibilities, I want to make sure I am strategic about launching in a way that embeds the tools, but that is also grounded in all that I know about a good Writing Workshop.  For the past few years, I've had students blog (both with a class blog and on individual kidblogs). I have always felt like I've kicked those off in a good way--with lots of mentor blogs, lots of time for learning about commenting, etc.)  But I want a bit more than that this year.  This year, I want to do the study of blogs and blogging but I want to embed it in Living Your Life as a Writer and I want to make sure that I start conversations early, that we can carry throughout the year.  To help me think through mini lesson work and to give kids a visual as they begin to blog, I created this graphic.


I want students to know right away that blogging, (and any writing) requires the writer to make a lot of decisions. And with every piece a writer writes, the questions are a constant part of the process. I know this visual does not include everything but I am hoping it gives us some great ways into the conversation about being a writer who blogs.


8 comments:

  1. Franki-I love that graphic, especially the emphasis on safety, sharing and connecting. Which, is what makes blogging so much different than writer's workshop in the past that was much more isolated to the walls of the classroom. When we let our students in on the secret that their writing can be read across the world they see that what they write has the power to connect them in ways that it couldn't have before. So exciting. I can't wait to read your students' blogs and see the decisions they make as writers.

    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chart offers numerous ways to have conversations, maybe even to create a post with some of the answers personal to each student. I don't know if you will have students who have blogged before, & if they have, they will have tips to add. Each of these does connect to other writing, too, good to emphasize. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't round up this week for DigiLit Sunday because I was on vacation, but this post would certainly be one to add this week. I saved the graphic to use in my classroom. Thanks. We are active bloggers, but it will be good to refresh when the new school year starts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this visual and the glimpse into your thinking about blogs. I have also experimented with blogging with my students (6th-8th graders and pre-service teachers). This post is helping me to think about next year with my pre-service teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The graphic chart depicts everything that students need to learn about blogs and start blogging,especially the part about their safety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:05 PM

    Thank you for sharing. I have not blogged yet but want to, and this will help me to structure my introduction to the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great visual! It clearly depicts what kids need to think about when they begin blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to capture and share your work and thinking about blogging through the past years with teachers and students. You always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.