Monday, November 24, 2014

Very Short Poems



Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems
selected by Paul B. Janeczko
illustrated by Melissa Sweet
Candlewick Press, 2014

I don't know whether I love this collection more for the poetry or for the illustrations. Either way, it's a winner.

Beginning with Spring, each of the seasons is explored through eight or nine poems from a variety of both adult and children's poets.

Each poem is a snapshot, a glimpse, a moment. They are perfect for showing children the power of just a few words to describe or evoke or illuminate.

And did I mention that the illustrations are beyond lovely? They are classic Melissa Sweet. I wish I could frame every page.

This is a collection you will want, and a fabulous gift book. Share the love.

Check out Mary Ann's review at Great Kid Books.


2 comments:

  1. So great to meet you at NCTE. This is one of my favorites. The poems are magical and the art work so imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one too! My favorite was the one from the pov of the wire fence. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.