Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Youth Media Awards


The winners of the ALA Youth Media Awards were announced yesterday morning. (Complete list of winners here.)

I'm still scratching my head a bit at the Newbery winner -- the picture book Last Stop On Market Street. I'll withhold judgement until I've had a chance to read it.

But which of the winners DID I read this year?

All three Newbery Honor books -- The War That Saved My Life (my pick for winner), Echo, and Roller Girl

Caldecott Winner -- Finding Winnie

Sibert Honor book -- Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans

Stonewall winner -- George

Both middle grade Schneider winners -- Fish in a Tree and The War That Saved My Life

I'm currently reading one of the Coretta Scott King Honor books -- All American Boys

Pura Belpré Author Award -- Enchanted Air by Margarita Engle

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

All in all, it was a good reading year for me!


4 comments:

  1. I think I've read Last Stop on Market Street a dozen times at least. Both on my own and to my kinders. Every time I read it I find something else I love about it. I was surprised to see it win the Newbery (has a picture book ever won before) but also thrilled. There is so much in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thrilled to see LAST STOP win! Love that it's a picture book that broaches a kind of difficult topic without solving anything. And hooray for a picture book win! But I do wish ALA would do a picture book text award to partner the Caldecott and then the Newbery could stay with its traditional 8-12yo novel range. But...yippee! Hope you like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was waiting patiently for this post. Totally agree with Laura and I've read Last Stop and still in a quandary.

    PS our Newbery Club was upset with the winner so we looked it up. Yes one other PB won in 1981.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I have not read Last Stop yet, I, too, was a bit perplexed. There were so many great middle grade novels out there this year. I was really hoping Echo would have won. It is such a beautifully written book with so many layers.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.