Monday, July 25, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I've been reading a lot this summer and have not shared much of my reading on the blog yet. So, for today's It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Thanks to Jen and Kelly for hosting the roundup!) I thought I'd share some books that I thought were must-reads for different reasons. 


Picture Books

I have quite a collection of books about reading and I am happy to be adding this new picture book!

This book made me laugh out loud.  A funny book about a barnacle with nothing much to do.



A great story about a girl who has a fabulous dollhouse that she has created from a cardboard box.  I love the whole idea of creation behind this story.


The Cookie Fiasco and We Are Growing! (September 20)
These are the first two books coming out in the new "Elephant and Piggie Like Reading" series. They are both fabulously fun and perfect for young readers!


Middle Grade Novels

The Poet's Dog (September 13)
A new book by Patricia MacLachlan. I loved this book--the characters, their stories, the relationships. It appealed to me as an adult reader and think it would be a good read for upper elementary students.


In this story of September 10 , we get to know several characters will be impacted personally by the events of September 11.  This is very well done for middle grade students.



A book told in two voices--one character just moved to a new school from India.  Joe, has been at the school his whole life but still feels like he does not belong.  A powerful story with lots to talk about.


I love Jason Reynold's YA books and was thrilled to see his new middle grade novel.  I loved this book--it is a quieter story but his characters make this book what it is. They will stay with me for a very long time.


Wish (August 30)
Barbara O'Connor does it again. She writes the perfect middle grade novel every time.  This is the story of Charlie, a stray dog and a wish.


I have been looking forward to this book for months, ever since Donalyn Miller recommended it. It is one of the best middle grade/middle school fantasies I've read in a long time. I loved everything about it--the characters, the issues and themes, the plot, the writing.

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.