Saturday, March 31, 2018

Poetry Month 2018


This year's class -- The Hahn Squad -- loves to find patterns.
They have found patterns in the date
(one of our favorites all year, a Squad Member's birthday, was 3/6/18...3x6=18),
in recurring themes in our read alouds (the desire for invisibility),
and in the lucky coincidence that there are 30 days in April and 30 students in our class.

When the 30 Days, 30 Students, 30 Poems challenge was laid at my feet by an eager and earnest Squad Member, what could I do? I had to accept.

For their part, I asked each of the 30 Squad Members to chose a quote they love. I originally intended to write a personalized Golden Shovel Poem for each student using their quote as the striking line. Although some may turn out to be specific to the student who chose the quote, most will pay tribute to some part of the 2017-2018 5th Grade Hahn Squad experience.



8 comments:

  1. You can do this and so can they. Can't wait to see all the results!
    Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best of luck with your project and don't forget to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:09 PM

    This sounds like quite an ambitious project, Mary Lee! As always, I'm looking forward to reading your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an absolute gift! You can be sure that your squad will never forget it! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a brave and ambitious woman! Can't wait to read these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! I'm so excited to read these poems every day. What a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your post from today before reading this one from yesterday-rich quote/golden shovel poem! I look forward to the next, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have set yourself a mighty challenge, ML, and you are giving your Squad a many-layered gift! I'm doing a classroom-based project this month too, but considerably simpler (hey, maybe I'm learning!) Looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.