Thursday, September 17, 2020

Poetry Friday -- Orion


Photo via Unsplash


Winter Stars
by Sara Teasdale

I went out at night alone;
The young blood flowing beyond the sea
Seemed to have drenched my spirit’s wings—
I bore my sorrow heavily.

But when I lifted up my head
From shadows shaken on the snow,
I saw Orion in the east
Burn steadily as long ago.

From windows in my father’s house,
Dreaming my dreams on winter nights,
I watched Orion as a girl
Above another city’s lights.

Years go, dreams go, and youth goes too,
The world’s heart breaks beneath its wars,
All things are changed, save in the east
The faithful beauty of the stars.



I go out alone into the early morning dark almost every day to walk through the neighborhood. From August through late December, Orion keeps me company. His constancy, and the constancy of the stars, give me hope.

Matt has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Radio, Rhythm & Rhyme.


16 comments:

  1. Please say hello to the lovely stars for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Mary Lee...love this poem. Dreams and youth may be fleeting, but the stars are always there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This feels good and helpful right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wistful and poignant. Thanks for this meaningful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter where in the world we are, we can all see the same stars. Celestial uniters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful reminder of the constancy in the universe when so much seems upended. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I interviewed a doctor for an article I was writing and he talked about walking with Orion. What a wonderful comfort the stars are! I've been walking with Venus this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So mournful and beautiful and constant. This poem means a lot to me this week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see Orion every morning, too, unless lately - the smoke! It is like one of the important things right now we can count on to find that moment of hope. Thanks, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That last stanza, especially today. Orion is one of my favorite constellations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, and a moving last stanza to take us away with, thanks Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Orion. And in our old townhome and house before that, I could always see Orion as I went out in the early morning to walk Jack. It's such a steady-er, always there for me. And it's time! Except I can't see it just outside our newer townhome in the city, and I wouldn't feel safe walking the block in the dark (unfortunately). I miss Orion. He's the bringer of fall for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful poem and love your morning ritual. It must be so peaceful to wonder upon Orion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the constancy in Teasdale's poem - "the faithful beauty of the stars" while all else changes. There's a deep and restful hope in it, yes. The mighty hunter is surely good company on those quiet early mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.