Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Meditations On The Cool Teacher Project

I refuse to get an inferiority complex because I don't know all the books that have teachers who have been nominated for our list! And as long as we're trying to have read the Newbery and the majority of my kids' book reading time is devoted to the most current possibilities, I might not even get around to reading lots of those books for a long time to come. But it will be a great place to start someday.

Teachers who have elicited an, "Oh, YEAH! I forgot about her/him!!!" response from me include: Miss Honey, Ms. Frizzle, Merlin, and Mrs. Olinski. Maybe a parallel project should be re-reading some old favorites!

It is good to know that there is no shame in checking out your data on SiteMeter!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:27 PM

    Oh, no inferiority complex, definitely! Two that I posted are (undeservedly) obscure: "White in the Moon" is out of print, not in our library, and very expensive on used book sites (but I got a couple of copies cheap on ebay), and "Thursday's Children" is also, sadly, out of print (but available at reasonable prices on used book sites).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Glad to see that the list is coming along so well. I'm happy to know that there are so many cool teachers out there in Kid Lit. Thanks for your suggestion to the Cool Boys list, too, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:04 PM

    The teacher of "Law for Children and Young People" in "Can You Sue Your Parents For Malpractice?" by Paula Danziger. I wish I could remember his name - he was very sympathetic and helpful to Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:51 PM

    Thanks for the great list!

    How about Miss Pointy from Sahara Special by Esme Codell? I read it one year on advice from one of our 4th g. teachers. I loved it. It's alternately hilarious and touching. Miss Pointy is what the kids call her because they can't pronounce her French name. It's her first year in a tough school. Great book and semi autobiographical, I believe.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.