Monday, October 30, 2006

Madonna

Okay, so I am not a huge Madonna fan. I don't really pay attention to any of the gossip out there about Madonna. As a children's lit person, I am not a fan of her books. I don't really like many of the books published by celebrities or the fact that people think that "anyone can write a children's book". But, how can you miss all of the controversy about her recent plan to adopt a baby as a way to promote her new book? I am not sure what Madonna's adoption has to do with her new children's book. As part of the adoption community, I find it a bit appalling that people are accusing Madonna of planning to adopt a child in order to promote this new book. I think we can give our opinions about her book, but to negate her book because of something as important and unrelated as her adoption? What message does this give to children about adoption when we imply that she is adopting a child for this reason?

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. I didn't know much about the Madonna-adopts-a-baby thing but linking it to her book is outrageous.

    I'm an adopted adult who's writing a book about adoption. And I've spent years putting together the pieces of adoption for myself and in general.

    I can assure Madonna, as if she cared, that adopting a child must be a serious undertaking--and not something for all parents, even the best of parents.

    On the other hand, I suppose if her book is the only book available to my grandkids, I'd rather they read it than read nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.