Friday, November 30, 2007

Poetry Friday: New Poetry Book

"Have you watched the fairies when the rain is done
Spreading out their little wings to dry them in the sun?
I have, I have!
Isn't it fun?"

This is the beginning of a poem by Rose Fyleman that is part of a new collection of fairy poems. I just picked up a copy of IF YOU SEE A FAIRY RING: A RICH TREASURY OF CLASSIC FAIRY POEMS illustrated by Susan Lockheart. It is an interesting combo for a poetry book. The book will definitely appeal to my readers who love the new fairy tales and stories out there. It is such a phenomenon in my class! When I opened the book, I realized that many of the poems were written by classic poets like William Shakespeare. I was thrilled to see one by Laura Ingalls Wilder too. Some are excerpts from longer poems which is a nice idea too.

There is something about the illustrations and the way that the words are displayed on the page that make this book one that I am sure my 3rd and 4th graders will pick up. The watercolor illustrations include several "magic windows" that change as the page is turned--showing a different scene from the book. A nice way to get them into more classical poetry, I think.

Because of the window illustrations, this is a big book. Large in size, and thick. But not too big. A fun size for a poetry book.

Perfect timing for a book like this.


Round up is at Two Writing Teachers.

1 comment:

  1. The book cover is so pretty! Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.