Tuesday, July 09, 2013

My Dad Thinks He's Funny by Katrina Germein

I happened to see My Dad Thinks He's Funny  by Katrina Germein while visiting Cover to Cover around Father's Day. It isn't a new book but it looked fun.  I'm so glad I picked it up because it will be perfect for minilesson work in Writing Workshop. I love the format of this book to show young writers how authors let us get to know a character by telling details--not with adjectives necessarily but by telling stories. In this very predictable book, a child is talking about how his dad THINKS he is funny (with the implication that he really isn't:-). On each two page spread, there is a little example of this.  One such example is..."Whenever I say, 'I'm hungry,' Dad says, 'Hello, Hungry. Pleased to meet you.'" Kids will love the humor and the illustrations add to the fun. This is a perfect example to kids about including examples that let their reader really know their characters when writing. I can see using it early in the year for some notebook play.  This is a fun book that kids will remember.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny that you reviewed this book today. I saw it around fathers day on someone else's blog and marked it because it looked great. I also love to read Before I was your Mother by Kathryn Lasky.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I wish I had this when I was a kid. My dad thought he was funny. (He was.)
    Cute concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:53 PM

    I really wish I would have had this when I was a kid. It looks like a great book. Just like Kelly's dad, my dad always thinks he is funny. This wold be great for a lesson during or around Father's Day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.