Friday, September 06, 2013

Poetry Friday: If, for some reason...

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/


If, for some reason, you missed the debut of this article at The Poetry Foundation, it's not to late to check it out:

All Good Slides are Slippery by Lemony Snicket, illustrated by Chris Raschka

You read that right -- Lemony Snicket. He created a collection of poems that children "might like," and Chris Raschka illustrated the collection with happy, splashy paintings. Fun, fun, fun!

From the introduction:

"The poems contained in this children’s poetry portfolio are not made for children. Poetry is like a curvy slide in a playground — an odd object, available to the public — and, as I keep explaining to my local police force, everyone should be able to use it, not just those of a certain age."
"If you are a child, you might like these poems. Of course, you might not. Poems, like children, are individuals, and will not be liked by every single person who happens to come across them. So you may consider this portfolio a gathering of people in a room. It does not matter how old they are, or how old you are yourself. What matters is that there are a bunch of   people standing around in a room, and you might want to look at them."


We're gathering in the "room" (aka blog) of Laura at Author Amok for the Poetry Friday roundup this week. See you there!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lee, I missed this totally. And our Louisiana poet laureate has a poem featured in the collection. Yay, Ava Haymon! Thanks for directing me to the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:19 PM

    Fun, indeed! Thanks for sharing!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemony Snicket (also known as Daniel Handler - not as catchy, I think hehe)! I am a huge fan, so I shall definitely look for this poetry book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed it too - thanks for sharing! (What a great title.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to check this book out. Love Lemony Snicket, if only for his name. WINK! Is it a takeoff on Jiminy Cricket? I've always wondered that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! But as I deal in "ditties," I confess I am most partial to this little nugget of Snicket wisdom:

    "Many, many poems are too long; hardly any are too short."

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.