Saturday, April 21, 2018

Advice to Writers



Don't judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasins. ~Sharon Creech (Walk Two Moons)


Advice to Writers

Writing well is more than just words on a page. Don’t
be satisfied with your first draft. Be the one to judge
your own writing with a
critical eye. Man
up (or woman up) -- work on revising and editing until
you’ve
walked
through your piece at least two
times. If you’re writing about stars and moons,
get your facts straight. Don’t write “in
his
shoes” if what you really mean is moccasins.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2018



3 comments:

  1. Oh, my, Mary Lee, you have identified the reason I am silent today. I needed to soak up some life and stop to reassess my writing. Hit pause. Take some time to walk in moccasins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see the 'replay' of the words back to a student, makes me wonder if each one is because you have walked a bit in their moccasins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having similar conversations with my second graders - explicit words. Writers and readers can't assume the audience either written or orally understand general phrases.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.