Monday, April 30, 2018

High Flight



Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
~Kevin Durant


High Flight

The last day of school is in sight. You can’t imagine how hard
it is to release my masterpieces, say goodbye to my best work.
Launching you, I imagine the sigh of wing-beats
as you fly away, soaring with your talent,
your sense of humor, your desire to set the world right. When
you alight again next fall, don’t you dare hide your talent,
head under wing, letting others lead. Genius doesn’t
need adult plumage to rise and spiral. All genius needs is work.
And remember, the work of flight is joyful, not hard.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2018






4 comments:

  1. Oh, Amen! Such important words for us all to hear. This is a wallet-poem. Your students will return to these words and to all of the wisdom you have shared this year and with this project. I am amazed by how each poem surprises and how those end words just disappear. One would never know about those end-phrases if one did not know. Seamless and lovely. Congrats, my friend. A gift to you, to us, and to your young flyers. xxxx ps - Love this quote too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lee, You did it! 30 beautiful poems. Have you considered writing one for yourself? Each of these have you in them, of course. What quote would you choose? I wonder. Thank you for sharing these, and planting more idea seeds for others to consider growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect ending to a perfect month. I especially love the line, "Genius doesn't need adult plumage…" I'm sad these are over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lee, you've taught me much about the golden shovel poem this month and its richness. You've also made me miss the classroom a bit this month. I feel as if I've gotten to know your students through your poetry. This poem speaks to the season of ending. The last weeks in a classroom community are always bittersweet for me. I'm always so in awe of all students have accomplished and so aware of the fact that our time together grows short. I know your students will continue to soar thanks to all the room you have given them to find who they are. "The work of flight is joyful."

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.