Friday, April 20, 2018

Reciprocal


When you live happy, you are happy.  ~Layann

Reciprocal

The Sparkly Unicorn Award is given when
you notice someone being amazing. You
get as much joy giving it as receiving it. The sculpture will live
on the recipient’s desk for the rest of the day, making them happy
every time they look at it. You made their day, so you
are
also happy.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2017



Late last fall, we spent a morning messing around with plaster of paris. We made discs and ornaments and pendants and other assorted creations, which we decorated with glitter, ribbon, sequins, shells, etc. One of the creations was given to me -- a disc with edges dripping glitter and a Unicorn Horn Shell jutting up out of its center. Weeks later, on a day when someone did something totally awesome that needed a spotlight, I dubbed the disc+shell The Sparkly Unicorn Award, and I bestowed the award upon the awesome child. I allowed them to keep the award on their desk for the rest of the day (getting glitter all over someone else's work for once). Since then, students have begun bestowing the award upon each other, and one girl especially (the one who dances and draws through "Luminosity") has become our Lead Noticer of Other People's Awesomeness. She has given the award more times in the last few weeks than I have since last fall. It's one thing to BE awesome, but it's another kind of awesome to shine a light on others.

This class. I think I'm already starting to miss them.


Tabatha has this week's Poetry Friday roundup at her blog, The Opposite of Indifference, which is what I would say my poem and post is all about this week!


23 comments:

  1. I am in awe of children who show such awareness and kindness at an early age. Kudos for building such a community in your classroom that allowed this to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE being bookmates with you! And, what a wonderful story this is. "Lead Noticer of Other People's Awesomeness" is a distinction of great importance. I like that kid. I wish I could be a kid in your class.
    Great weaving of life into your poem. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. I used to have mixed feelings the last day of school. I was happy for summer vacation--but was sad saying goodbye to students that I had become so attached to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet! (and shiny!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of the Sparkly Unicorn Award! And even more inspiring that your students are bestowing it upon each other. Truly awesome -- as is your poem today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to always observe awesomeness in others. And to be noticed publicly here. We need a picture of your sparkly unicorn award!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post brought tears to me, ML. I love the poem, and as I read, I wondered, "Is that award real? How cool!" Then, reading the story...I just choked up. What a gift to be a child in your class. And I want to buy this picture book. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much to love about a classroom with an in-house "Lead Noticer of Other People's Awesomeness".

    ReplyDelete
  9. In your classroom, you notice each child and celebrate them. That kind of love spreads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for Sparkly Unicorn Awards! So true: "it's another kind of awesome to shine a light on others."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kindness begets kindness, Mary Lee, and what better way to illustrate it is through a glittery award. Your poem symbolizes this. Golden Shovel Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:52 AM

    I'd like to present you with a glittery award for being such an awesome teacher and poet and for sharing your wisdom with the world. Thank you! (And I agree with Amy; you should turn this story into a PB!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary Lee, your poem made me smile. There's something magical about a unicorn - especially one that celebrates awesomeness. I equally enjoyed your narrative. It sounds like you have a delightful community. This line really got me: "I think I'm already starting to miss them." Enjoy every day until the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that you saw that moment to pass on the "sparkly unicorn", Mary Lee. I suspect that the class will also miss you & that 'lead noticer' too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like others, I love the sparkly unicorn award. And like others, I love that kids give it to each other. I want to teach next to you for my last few years. I would learn so, so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely poem! And I think the love you have for your class is "reciprocal."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwww....I love everything about the sparkly unicorn award! Especially your students who are willing and able to see the awesomeness in each other.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome! I am amazed at the ownership your students are taking to create a positive and supportive classroom culture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your kids are awesome, but it's obvious they have an awesome teacher, too. Congratulations on the community you've created in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the awesomeness surrounding your sparkly unicorn award, especially that it can be student-initiated. They've learned much from you, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful poem Mary Lee for a very special student–and from a special teacher that recognizes and promotes altruism!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you had them first play with plaster of paris and then how this award is student driven.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to be a student in your class! They are amazing, and you are, too, for fostering and modeling kindness and altruism. Yes to a picture book!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.