Friday, October 19, 2018

Poetry Friday -- Ode to Parent Conferences



Unsplash photo via Chandler Cruttenden


Ode to Parent Conferences

Conferences, you exhaust me.
I spend hours getting ready for you,
gathering work samples,
reviewing notes,
finding the positives amongst the goals to work on.

Conferences, you feed me.
The hours I spend talking with families,
sharing stories,
comparing notes...
you help me find more than enough positives to carry on.

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2018



Brenda has the Poetry Friday roundup at Friendly Fairy Tales.


16 comments:

  1. Here's to the positives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for the positives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always two sides to every coin . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! I'm dreading the prep this weekend but always find myself energized by the actual process. Thanks for reminding me about the positive side of the chaos before I dive into the work this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you unexpected bursts of energy. Enjoy the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the parallel construction of your two stanzas, reflecting the two sides of the conference coin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much prep but so much gained when you sit back and really listen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved having those conferences, and you've shown them true, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the flip-flop in your poem–and I think a teacher's job is never done…

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great, Mary Lee! It went a different direction than I expected, in a totally wonderful way:>)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes! Both lots of work and much reward, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an opposite poem every teacher can appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen and I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such truth emanating from this poem, Mary Lee-Congratulations that this poem is highlighted on Choice Literacy! I wish I could have seen you at #NCTE18. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on having this poem showcased in The Big Fresh Newsletter from Choice Literacy, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.