Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Newbery Predictions

Every year, Mary Lee and I attempt to predict which book will win the Newbery Award. I have to admit that Mary Lee is always closer in her predictions than I am. So, I am happy to see that some of my top choices are also on her list:-) I must be learning something from talking to her about books for all of these years!

A WREATH FOR EMMETT TILL by Marilyn Nelson
This one is brilliantly written and has so many layers that I can't imagine it won't win. It is on several Mock Newbery lists. One list thinks that it may be for older children and not as appropriate for the Newbery Medal. But, I think it is a probability.

PRINCESS ACADEMY by Shannon Hill
When I first read this book, I didn't think it could win. Has a fairy tale ever won the Newbery Medal? But, the story, characters, and issues have stayed with me over several months. It is one of my favorite books of the year and I would love to see it win the award.

EACH LITTLE BIRD THAT SINGS by Deborah Wiles
This was one of my very favorites, but since it won a National Book Award honor, I am not sure it will also win the Newbery. I would love if it did.

CHICKEN BOY by Frances O'Roark Dowell
Loved the story and the characters. I already like this author. I'd love for this one to win. I read it aloud to my 5th graders and they loved it.

We've had fun keeping up with new titles during 2005. We've also kept an eye on several Mock Newbery sites--checking to see what they are reading (Tempe Arizona, Allen County, and Anderson's Bookshop). I am anxious to find out which book will win the medal on January 23. The announcement always sparks interesting conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.