Friday, February 02, 2007

POETRY FRIDAY!

I picked up a book at a workshop last week called CALL ME MARIANNE by Jen Bryant. It is a book about poetry and writing, a story about boy who meets poet, Marianne Moore. The boy, Jonathan, asks her what a poet does and much of the book is her explanation to him: "Jonathan," she says at last, "Your question about poets is not a simple one. For me being a poet begins with watching. I watch animals. I watch people. I read books and look at photographs. I notice details---little things that other people miss. I think it will be a great book to share with children about ways to pay attention to the world as writers. It is a great tribute to poets and poetry.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:48 PM

    Thanks. I'm so excited about this book. I love Marianne Moore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:49 PM

    Also, it reminds me of the book about Georgian O'Keefe as a girl -- They Call Me Georgia. That's a lot about how an artist looks at things...

    I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.