Friday, July 09, 2010

Poetry Friday -- I Learn By Going Where I Have To Go


by Theodore Roethke


We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.




Carol has the Poetry Friday Roundup today at Carol's Corner.

PLEASE NOTE THIS CHANGE FOR NEXT WEEK:
The 7/16 Roundup is at my juicy little universe with Heidi Mordhorst

6 comments:

  1. Dear Readers,

    Franki and I are at the NCTE Whole Language Umbrella conference in Indianapolis today. I'll pop in whenever I have a chance to post your comments and respond. Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at the conference! Thanks for the little dose of Roethke today :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem! A perfect fit for my Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lee, I had forgotten how much I love love love this poem which, even more than most villanelles, convolutes into itself and somehow clearly magnifies its own wisdom. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that last line. Great poem for the summer! Enjoy the conference. I'm looking forward to reading about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "What is there to know?" So contrary to the way I usually think, which is, There's an endless amount of cool stuff to know. But to really really know...this is delicious. Thanks, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.