Friday, July 02, 2010

Seattle/Tacoma Choice Literacy Event

I flew into Seattle/Tacoma on Monday for a Choice Literacy workshop. The week was a great balance of work and fun. I worked with The 2 Sisters and Brenda Power on a new workshop "Simply Beautiful Classroom Design". It was fun to work together and to think hard about the environments that best support literacy learning, and then I did another on my own. But the days left lots of time for fun, exploration and hanging out with friends. As you can see in the pictures, we all had lots of fun!

Some highlights from the trip were the Glass Walk that is part of the Tacoma Art Museum. I wasn't that familiar with Dale Chihuly's work but am now totally in love with it. And I just found out that his work has been on exhibit at the Columbus Art Museum and I just missed it!? I also had a chance to visit Pike Place Market in Seattle as well as the original Starbucks. In Tacoma, the workshops were held at the amazing Hotel Murano. We had a great meal at Indochine Asian Dining and enjoyed dessert from Hello, Cupcake!

The week was a good one. I met lots of great teachers from around the world, worked hard, played a bit and saw some new sites. Definitely a place I want to visit again!

2 comments:

  1. Dale Chihuly's work has also been on display at the Franklin Park Conservatory, a huge collection last summer. Currently they have pieces intertwined with their plants that was bought and donated to the Conservatory. Check out these pieces for something close to home. Your trip sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:54 PM

    So close and I was gone. I cold have driven up to meet you. Hopefully the weather cooperated. Chihuly is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.