|Photo from Flickr by brianjmatis http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianjmatis/3431100962/|
I am working with our 4th and 5th graders about really knowing themselves as readers. This week, I gave them a basic reading interview to begin helping them think about what they knew about themselves as readers and then I asked them to turn it over to write 100 things about themselves as readers. I tried to do the same. Of course, none of us go to 100, although we might be the end of the year of we keep noticing and adding, but it was a great conversation starter. Here is my list so far.
1. I read almost every Nancy Drew book when I was in 6th grade. My grandmother had the collection in her attic.
2. I loved the Betsy books when I was in elementary school.
3. Realistic Fiction is my favorite genre.
4. No one is allowed to talk to me or bother me during the last 10 pages of a book. Endings are key for me.
5. I have to love the character in a book to enjoy the book.
6. I occasionally enjoy science fiction and fantasy.
7. I loved the Bookmobile when I was younger. It parked right down the street every 2 weeks.
8. Walk Two Moons is one of my favorite books of all time.
9. I have a shelf of books that I haven't yet read. I like to have back-ups in case of a snowstorm or some other reason that I'd have time to read.
10. I often skip parts in books when scenery or nature is described.
11. I am not so good at listening to books on tape. I get distracted. I like to see the print.
12. I almost never like the movie better than the book.
13. I never read a book after I've seen the movie.
14. I get recommendations from friends.
15. I like to read books that are brand new--hot off the press.
16. I don't get excited about having authors autograph my books.
17. I don't really like to share my favorite books. I want my friends to read them but I really like to keep favorites after I am finished with them.
18. I like to alternate between long and short books.
19. I like to read children's fiction on airplane trips.
20. I can't read in the car--I get carsick.
21. I rely on blog reviews and other reviews to choose children's books.
22. I have many favorite authors.
23. I love to hear authors speak and share their work.
24. I love YA books but never have time (or give myself time) to read them.
25. Many Graphic Novels are hard for me to read/understand.
26. My mother read me Secret Garden and A Little Princess when I was little. Still two of my favorite books.
27. Most of my nonfiction reading is connected to my work/job.
28. I have very little patience for reading how-to/directions.
29. I love love love to hang out in any bookstore.
30. I buy too many books.
31. I love to visit new bookstores when I travel.
32. I am convinced that Cover to Cover is the best children's bookstore in the country.
This is a really fun thing to do --I know as I live my life over the next several weeks, I will notice more about myself as a reader. I will add them as I notice. Who knows if I will get to 100. It is just a fun way to begin to think about myself as a reader and to pay attention to things I didn't notice. I think the same is true for our kids . Starting a list like this becomes a great tool for noticing these things about ourselves. If you try this, let us know. I realized quickly that when I hear other people's lists, they remind me about things I hadn't thought of myself.