Friday, July 22, 2011

Poetry Friday -- Daisies



The daisy follows soft the sun
By Emily Dickinson


The daisy follows soft the sun,
And when his golden walk is done,
Sits shyly at his feet.
He, waking, finds the flower near.
"Wherefore, marauder, art thou here?"
"Because, sir, love is sweet!"

We are the flower, Thou the sun!
Forgive us, if as days decline,
We nearer steal to Thee, —
Enamoured of the parting west,
The peace, the flight, the amethyst,
Night's possibility!



Light and dark, day and night, love and rejection, summer and winter. And, ahh...Emily Dickinson...



Tabatha has the Poetry Friday roundup this week at The Opposite of Indifference.

8 comments:

  1. You're right, that poem has it all. It seems perfect for memorizing! Not too long, rolls off the tongue.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this image of a daisy with its golden middle sitting "shyly" at the feet of the sun. It's still difficult for me to walk by one without saying, "He loves me...he loves me not..." in my head! A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect offering for a July morning! My mother and I have always had a thing for daisies. Love those last two lines, especially - the "amethyst" is such a surprise....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Dickinson poem! I love daisies. How's the weather in your area? It's beastly here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how darkness and light are captured in this poem - very Dickinson indeed. Thanks for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember having to memorize this one years ago, and how that amethyst puzzled me back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, thanks for sharing this. I'm a sucker for daisies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this Dickinson poem! And beautiful daisy photo to accompany it!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.