Friday, December 23, 2011

Poetry Friday -- Less Can Be More

Flickr Creative Commons Photo by EmreAyar














Crane

Paper creased is
with a touch
made less by half,
reduced as much

again by a second
fold—so the wish
to press our designs
can diminish

what we hold.
But by your hand’s
careful work,
I understand

how this unleaving
makes of what’s before
something finer
and finally more.




Any thoughts I might add here would subtract from the simple beauty of the poem. I'll leave you in the quiet to bring to and take away from this poem what you will. (This poem is posted in its entirety with the permission of the author, David Yezzi -- his website is here.)

The Poetry Friday round up today is at Dori Reads.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mary Lee, for this truth in few words. a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very tranquil and thoughtful poem, Mary Lee, perfect for the day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to less is more! Wonderful to remember during this season of excess. And makes me want to hug my 11 y.o. nephew who is obsessed with creating origami. What a cool kid. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! And I love the photo you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful to use these few words & say much. I'm so often in awe, & this time no exception. Thank you, & Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem!

    Just wanted to stop by and wish you Happy Holidays! I know I've been scarce of late. Spending much of my time taking care of my little granddaughter, which is a joy...but limits my time for writing and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quiet poem. I had 1000 cranes at my wedding for good luck :). Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. and finally more...
    Love that thought. Love when I can remember to do that. Even in speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I hear the phrase "Less is More" I am reminded of one of my favorite movies of all times (tearjerker, that) - One True Thing. When Meryl Streep in the end negated all that was and noted that "More is More" amidst tears of course.

    Lovely photo and poem, thank you for sharing.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that is beautiful! And perfect for this season when so much overwhelms.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.