Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations.16


via Wikimedia Commons


FENCES

I've been climbing fences
(and being hurt by them)
since I was a kid.

Broke my arm on one.
Snagged my right knee on barbed wire.
I have the scar to show for it.

I don't much like fences.

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2013



Wrought-iron strong knots
twined to hold tight, day and night;
We stand, hand in hand.

©Kevin Hodgson, 2013


From Carol (Carol's Corner):

"A Poem About Barbed Wire"

I might have a poem about barley
or barges or barrels or bards
I might have a poem about barbeques
But I don't have a poem about barbed wire.

I might have a poem about Barbados
or maybe the Barbary Coast,
Those places with beaches and barnacles
where barbed wire's usually a ghost.

I might write a poem about bargains
or barbells or Barbie or Ken
Perhaps I've a poem about Bar-Bar-bara-Ann
But those barbed wire poems ain't no gems.

I might have a poem about barn burners,
barnstormers, barnyards, or barn doors,
But those poems about barbed wire fences
Are wadded-up trash on the floor.

Poems about barbed wire fences
are poignant or raunchy or wise,
I've written me poems about many ol' things
But barbed wire's one I ain't tried!

(C) Carol Wilcox, 2013






The theme of my 2013 National Poetry Month Project is 


"Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations." 


Each day in April, I will feature media from the Wikimedia Commons ("a database of 16,565,065 freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute") along with bits and pieces of my brainstorming and both unfinished and finished poems.

I will be using the media to inspire my poetry, but I am going to invite my students to use my daily media picks to inspire any original creation: poems, stories, comics, music, videos, sculptures, drawings...anything!

You are invited to join the fun, too! Leave a link to your creation in the comments and I'll add it to that day's post. I'll add pictures of my students' work throughout the month as well.

4 comments:


  1. Wrought-iron strong knots
    twined to hold tight, day and night;
    We stand, hand in hand.

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A Poem About Barbed Wire"

    I might have a poem about barley
    or barges or barrels or bards
    I might have a poem about barbeques
    But I don't have a poem about barbed wire.

    I might have a poem about Barbados
    or maybe the Barbary Coast,
    Those places with beaches and barnacles
    where barbed wire's usually a ghost.

    I might write a poem about bargains
    or barbells or Barbie or Ken
    Perhaps I've a poem about Bar-Bar-bara-Ann
    But those barbed wire poems ain't no gems.

    I might have a poem about barn burners,
    barnstormers, barnyards, or barn doors,
    But those poems about barbed wire fences
    Are wadded-up trash on the floor.

    Poems about barbed wire fences
    are poignant or raunchy or wise,
    I've written me poems about many ol' things
    But barbed wire's one I ain't tried!

    (C) Carol Wilcox, 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Re: Barbie and Bar-Bar-Barbara Ann. I was trying to help a behavioral SPED student who had been off meds for 6 days (they "ran out") with adverbs yesterday. We were brainstorming words that ended with -ly. He came up with "Bruce Lee."

      Same kid yesterday slipped and called me, "Duuuuuude!!"

      Feeling a bit rusty.

      Delete
    2. Carol
      I liked the repeated refrains of "I might have a poem ..." and the ending is a nice touch.
      Kevin

      Delete

Comment moderation is turned on.