Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations.24



Moving Sushi by Deror Avi on Wikimedia Commons


In science we learned about food chains
but clearly that does not apply
to sushi, which comes on a food train
chew-chewing as it passes by.

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2013



The predator hunts,
biding his time,
as his dinner cavorts
with others in line.

One might think
there were hours to wait,
as dinner flows by
on a small blue plate.

Another night
with too many choices,
the predator slinks home
in his stomach, the voices

call out for some meat,
some rice, some fish,
something of substance
from the small moving dish.

But, alas, that won't be
so he takes out his bread
spreads peanut butter and jelly
and slinks off to bed.

©Kevin Hodgson, 2013

The podcast is here.


From Linda (TeacherDance):

With Apologies to Joyce Kilmer

I think I never want to see
a sushi train click-clack by me,

a train who only runs to serve
those with quick hands and steely nerve,

a train full of makimono and
futomaki - nori the outside band.

I will accompany friends who wish
to grab each and every tasty dish

But I’ll sit calmly with spring rolls and tea.
These trains aren’t made for fools like me.

©Linda Baie, 2013


From Carol (Carol's Corner):


"Sushi Train"

The sushi bar
in the neighborhood 
grocery store
opened to great fanfare.
Chefs banging gongs,
free samples
shouted invitations, 
to come try this fishy delight.

And I watched 
my neighbors- 
carts loaded with
pepsi, hot dogs, white bread, 
tortillas, enchiladas, frijoles,
chitlings, collard greens, mac and cheese,
crowd around
to partake
in a whole new world 
of sashimi, wasabi, and squid.

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2013 




The theme of my 2013 National Poetry Month Project is 


"Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations." 


Each day in April, I will feature media from the Wikimedia Commons ("a database of 16,565,065 freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute") along with bits and pieces of my brainstorming and both unfinished and finished poems.

I will be using the media to inspire my poetry, but I am going to invite my students to use my daily media picks to inspire any original creation: poems, stories, comics, music, videos, sculptures, drawings...anything!

You are invited to join the fun, too! Leave a link to your creation in the comments and I'll add it to that day's post. I'll add pictures of my students' work throughout the month as well.

6 comments:

  1. The predator hunts,
    biding his time,
    as his dinner cavorts
    with others in line.

    One might think
    there were hours to wait,
    as dinner flows by
    on a small blue plate.

    Another night
    with too many choices,
    the predator slinks home
    in his stomach, the voices

    call out for some meat,
    some rice, some fish,
    something of substance
    from the small moving dish.

    But, alas, that won't be
    so he takes out his bread
    spreads peanut butter and jelly
    and slinks off to bed.

    - Kevin

    The podcast: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1GJucWtsmwI



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Love all the "science" we've got going on here!!

      Delete
  2. My response is science only in the human response, Mary Lee & Kevin. I'm a little alarmed at what came into my mind. I love your "chew-chew" Mary Lee, & did laugh! And Kevin, I love the idea of dinner "cavorting".
    Here's mine:

    With Apologies to Joyce Kilmer

    I think I never want to see
    a sushi train click-clack by me,

    a train who only runs to serve
    those with quick hands and steely nerve,

    a train full of makimono and
    futomaki - nori the outside band.

    I will accompany friends who wish
    to grab each and every tasty dish

    But I’ll sit calmly with spring rolls and tea.
    These trains aren’t made for fools like me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Today is the day for humor!! LOVE this, Linda!!

      Delete
  3. You are all very, very funny! And clever! Ashamed to post this!

    "Sushi Train"

    The sushi bar
    in the neighborhood
    grocery store
    opened to great fanfare.
    Chefs banging gongs,
    free samples
    shouted invitations,
    to come try this fishy delight.

    And I watched
    my neighbors-
    carts loaded with
    pepsi, hot dogs, white bread,
    tortillas, enchiladas, frijoles,
    chitlings, collard greens, mac and cheese,
    crowd around
    to partake
    in a whole new world
    of sashimi, wasabi, and squid.

    (c) Carol Wilcox, 2013

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your phrase "chew-chewing": brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.