Saturday, April 27, 2013

Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations.27

Breakfast Break of the Scaffolders
Bundesarchiv, Bild 102-09409 / CC-BY-SA

Work and rest. That's what's on my mind today.


The trick 
is learning to rest
in the midst 
of your work.

That,

and balance.

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2013



From Linda (TeacherDance):


Breaktime (in the clouds)

high time for breakfast
did you bring the news
I have a bag of donuts
for munching with the views

I can balance here on top
while I take my break
just don’t want the wind
to come and give a little shake

©Linda Baie, 2013


From Carol (Carol's Corner):


"Precarious"

Look
the view
from up here
head brushing clouds
fingertips cold steel

please
be still
don't lean much
because my perch
is precarious

your
courage
is making
me a little
uncomfortable.

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2013



My grandfather worked this place,
with brothers and cousins
and fellow blue-collar heroes,
riveting steel into the skyline
as dreamed by those down below ...

I listen to Springsteen -
with chords and lyrics
and stories of working-class men -
driving this steel on wheels
to spend hours in those towers ...

At lunch, I study the skyline,
watch the clouds,
imagine the dangerous balancing act
my grandfather's crew performed
each day, every day,
as they built this city, 
from the bottom up.

©Kevin Hodgson, 2013








The theme of my 2013 National Poetry Month Project is 


"Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations." 


Each day in April, I will feature media from the Wikimedia Commons ("a database of 16,565,065 freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute") along with bits and pieces of my brainstorming and both unfinished and finished poems.

I will be using the media to inspire my poetry, but I am going to invite my students to use my daily media picks to inspire any original creation: poems, stories, comics, music, videos, sculptures, drawings...anything!

You are invited to join the fun, too! Leave a link to your creation in the comments and I'll add it to that day's post. I'll add pictures of my students' work throughout the month as well.

15 comments:

  1. I've seen this before-amazing (and crazy!) Thanks Mary Lee!


    Breaktime (in the clouds)

    high time for breakfast
    did you bring the news
    I have a bag of donuts
    for munching with the views

    I can balance here on top
    while I take my break
    just don’t want the wind
    to come and give a little shake
    ©Linda Baie, 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lee, do you realize that you 'wrote' your poem, or gave a hint in that earlier line? What a tricky woman you are! Terrific poem, can be for so many things, and of course, this photo! (I will miss your pics next month & we may have to send a prompt now & then!) I won't stop visiting Wikimedia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have been my prewriting!

      I actually wrote the poem as we drove around doing regular Saturday errands. It was so good to be home -- first Saturday in April that I've been home!

      Delete
    2. Can't believe, Mary Lee, that you have done so much presenting and so much travelling this month, and have still managed to write all of these amazing, crafted poems. When your first book comes out, I want an autographed copy!

      Delete
    3. And Linda, can I just say that I'm not really afraid of heights, but the idea of perching way up there, eating donuts and chatting, and then swaying in the breeze. makes me feel like, umm, well, maybe I should just say it makes me feel a little nauseous! I also think of that Shel Silverstein poem, think it's called "Trapeze."

      Delete
    4. I have done different rock climbing with my students and that 'stepping off' always makes my stomach do a little 'loop-de-loop', Carol, but I had on a harness! I still am in awe of what this photo shows!

      Delete
  3. My poem today is an arun- 3 sets of 5 lines each. There are three stanzas, five lines each, with each line having one more syllable than the one before it.

    "Precarious"

    Look
    the view
    from up here
    Incredible!
    I can see my house

    please
    be still
    don't lean much
    because my perch
    is precarious

    your
    courage
    is making
    me a little
    uncomfortable.

    (c) Carol Wilcox, 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try one of these.

      I love that last stanza.

      Delete
    2. I think the last stanza was the best too. I left for Kremmling before six yesterday morning- the prompt wasn't up when I left and by the time I got back to it at eight last night, after driving and sitting in the sun all day, I was pretty tired. Seriously considered not writing and wasn't happy, at all with what emerged. I played with it a little this morning.

      "Precarious"

      Look
      the view
      from up here
      head brushing clouds
      fingertips cold steel

      please
      be still
      don't lean much
      because my perch
      is precarious

      your
      courage
      is making
      me a little
      uncomfortable.

      (c) Carol Wilcox, 2013

      Delete
    3. That middle stanza, "please/be still". Oh my, can you imagine doing this for the first time? You've caught that feeling well, Carol!

      Delete
    4. I traded out your newer version in the post. Sorry the prompt was up late.

      Delete
  4. My grandfather worked this place,
    with brothers and cousins
    and fellow blue-collar heroes,
    riveting steel into the skyline
    as dreamed by those down below ...

    I listen to Springsteen -
    with chords and lyrics
    and stories of working-class men -
    driving this steel on wheels
    to spend hours in those towers ...

    At lunch, I study the skyline,
    watch the clouds,
    imagine the dangerous balancing act
    my grandfather's crew performed
    each day, every day,
    as they built this city,
    from the bottom up.

    -Kevin

    The podcast: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ngabfgae6A


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice reference to Springsteen! I'm humming as I read you poem.

      And the podcast? Thanks for remembering the invitation! Besides hearing your voice, that's my favorite part!!

      Delete
  5. Kevin-
    Wow! Pretty powerful stuff! I especially love "riveting steel into the skyline" and "built this city from the bottom up." And as always, I love hearing you read your poem aloud. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all very kind friends and listeners. And writers.
    :)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.