Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations.3


Before we get too far along in the month, I'd like to explain where I got the idea for this project. Or at least trace back to some of the seed ideas that led to it.

1. BLOGGING
When you put your ideas an opinions out there into the world several times a week for 7+ years, you think hard about the way you use others' work based on the ways you hope others are using yours.

2. POETRY FRIDAY
Most every blogger who participates in Poetry Friday is very mindful about getting permission to share another poet's whole poems, or else they post a part of a poem and link to another site (or the book) where the rest can be found. I've never been turned down when I emailed a poet to ask for permission to use a poem on our blog. All were thrilled to be asked.

3. STUDENTS AND COPYING
Teachers and librarians have made it crystal clear to students that copying others' work is very very bad. And it is. We don't want them to copy others' homework or others' answers on math tests. But children overgeneralize our adult finger-shaking and believe that if they put a red umbrella in their story, then any other child in the class who puts a red umbrella in their story is copying, which is very very bad. Parody feels to children like it, too, should be illegal. It seems too much like copying.

And yet I see my students (taught, sometimes, to do this by other teachers) dragging images to their computer desktop to use without attribution in their projects...without a second thought about copying. It seems like it's just easier to ban all kinds of copying than it is to explore the fine lines of sharing and remixing ideas and to take the time to ask for permission or cite attribution.

With this project, I want to
  • raise awareness of the resources that are available and freely offered for use/reuse
  • model attribution etiquette
  • promote the spirit of creative collaboration
The graphic I created as the logo for this project? I found the image by doing a Google search of "Creative Commons," then I narrowed my search by choosing "Images," and then (MOST IMPORTANT STEP) I went up to the OPTIONS icon (looks like a grey gear at the top right of the page) and chose "Advanced Search." From there, I scrolled clear to the bottom and chose "Usage Rights --> (drop down) Free to Use or Share." The image I selected for my logo is in the Public Domain. I inserted it into a Word document, repeatedly typed the title of the project so that it would wrap around the image, played around with the fonts until I got it to look the way I wanted, took a screen shot and voila! My logo was born! I made something new by combining my ideas with the freely shared ideas of others.

Today, I'm thinking about this quote

"Welcome to a new world 
where collaboration rules."

which came from this video on the Creative Commons website: Wanna Work Together? (Go watch the video. I'll wait...)


THE RULES OF COLLABORATION

1. Share ideas.
2. Create with joy.
3. Work together.
4. Don't destroy.

© Mary Lee Hahn, 2013

(First day of school after break...brain drain...that's the best I can do right now...maybe I'll come back later with something more inspired...or maybe not...)


Here's a sweet little "almost haiku" from Lisa (Steps and Staircases):

Well said, as always--
Mary Lee, monitor and guide
of Internet hallways!



From Carol (Carol's Corner), after a looooonnnggg day of work, this brilliant Abcedarian, which I'm thinking I'll make into a poster for my classroom motto:


"ABC's of Collaboration"

Avail yourself of every opportunity
Because you never know when
Coming together could lead to creation.
Delight in differences
Engage in each other’s possibilities
Feel free to make mistakes.
Give up the need to be right and 
Humble yourself to others’
Intelligence and imagination.
Just be ready for surprises.
Know that there will be conflict
Laugh a lot.
Make miracles together
Never quit listening asking sharing believing
Open your eyes and your heart
Plan a little, play more.
Quiet the inner doubter
Resist the need to be right
Stay open to surprises
Take time to laugh.
Up the ante.
View the world through new eyes
Wonder at what might be possible
Excite yourself about others’ ideas

You never know when your

zeal might reap rewards. 

© Carol Wilcox, 2013



If you have a minute, go back to yesterday's post and check out some of the fire-breathing poems that Carol, Linda and Kevin wrote!

The theme of my 2013 National Poetry Month Project is 

"Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations." 

Each day in April, I will feature media from the Wikimedia Commons ("a database of 16,565,065 freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute") along with bits and pieces of my brainstorming and both unfinished and finished poems.

I will be using the media to inspire my poetry, but I am going to invite my students to use my daily media picks to inspire any original creation: poems, stories, comics, music, videos, sculptures, drawings...anything!

You are invited to join the fun, too! Leave a link to your creation in the comments and I'll add it to that day's post. I'll add pictures of my students' work throughout the month as well.

9 comments:

  1. Loved learning about the genesis of this project. So much truth. And I think so many of us, me included sometimes, are guilty of using people's stuff, and sometimes not crediting them. And I don't think people even view it as stealing, the stuff is just so accessible and easy to manipulate on line. And yet it's so important to honor the artist.

    Especially love the four "rules for collaboration."- Share ideas, create with joy, work together, don't destroy. That, in itself, feels like a poem. Thanks for these gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, as always--
    Mary Lee,monitor and guide
    of Internet hallways!

    Almost a haiku : )

    Thanks for your insights, resources, and good sharing manners.

    Lisa
    www.stepsandstaircases.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling at the thought of being a monitor in the Internet hallways! :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh what a very important project, Mary Lee. I will look forward to watching it unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mary Lee. I have shared some of the sites I've found, including this "commons" and hope that all those at my school are finding it easier to teach students how to be respectful of others' work. Isn't that the idea, after all? I enjoyed hearing the background of your project. Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I couldn't stand not to write a poem.
    "ABC's of Collaboration"
    Avail yourself of every opportunity
    Because you never know when
    Coming together could lead to creation.
    Delight in differences
    Engage in each other’s possibilities
    Feel free to make mistakes.
    Give up the need to be right and
    Humble yourself to others’
    Intelligence and imagination.
    Just be ready for surprises.
    Know that there will be conflict
    Laugh a lot.
    Make miracles together
    Never quit listening asking sharing believing
    Open your eyes and your heart
    Plan a little, play more.
    Quiet the inner doubter
    Resist the need to be right
    Stay open to surprises
    Take time to laugh.
    Up the ante.
    View the world through new eyes
    Wonder at what might be possible
    Excite yourself about others’ ideas

    You never know when your

    zeal might reap rewards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Just...Wow. I will make this into a poster for my classroom. Our new motto!!

      Delete
  6. Whoo hoo. Now I get where this is all coming from, and I'm feeling proud of myself for having realized that I need to track down the source of my 30d30w photo and attribute and credit it. Next post! I love Carol's 26-liner, but your 4-liner will go up on my kindergarten wall for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Carol's poem. After a long day of work she comes up with this.....truly impressive!! Some true words of wisdom in your blog today, Mary Lee and also in the responses, too. Thanks.
    Janet F.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.