Monday, April 08, 2013

Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations.8

Wikimedia Commons photo by Alchemist-hp
This is the Wikimedia Commons photo of the year for 2011. It is "a view of the lake Bondhus in Norway. In the background a view of the Bondhus Glacier as a part of the Folgefonna Glacier."


ROWBOAT'S LAMENT

I'm moored
both fore
and aft,

tethered
to prevent
my escape across the lake.

Or is it to protect me from
the coming
storm?

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2013


From Kevin (Meandering Minds)


I hunger for the clouds
heavy with rain
hovering over the lake
where we used to swim under the full moon.

If I could,
I would reach up and grab us both a handful
so that we could once again chew on the past,
letting memories dribble down our chins
as raindrops falling in spring
before flowers bloom ...

instead, we worry about the rumble of thunder
in the distance
and find ourselves fretting
about what the clouds might bring.

©Kevin Hodgson, 2013

And this: "I took some lines from the poems I have been writing here, and over with Bud the Teacher, and created this found poem: ReDiscovered Lines." (A bit of his process for creating this video is here.)


From Linda (TeacherDance):

The reflections
soon to be muddied
in his mind.
Storm coming!

I look for answers
in the rhyme;
there is no time.
The storm is coming.

Mirror in the water-
clear, now churning.
Still, in this moment
I am yearning.

Storm is here.


From Carol (Carol's Corner):

"Closer"

skymeetswatermeetssky
in bluegraygreenwhiteworld
wherecliffmeetslakemeetscliff
andlightmeetsshadowmeets
darkmeetslightmeetsdark
thelinesbetween
heavenandearth
areblurred
andperhaps
wearecloser
toheaven
thanwewillever
know.

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2013




This week, I think I'll follow the same pattern of media I choose as last week -- Monday: Picture of the Year, Tuesday: Featured Picture (new category), Wednesday: Video, Thursday: Famous Art, Friday: Audio, Saturday: Potluck, Sunday: Animation.


The theme of my 2013 National Poetry Month Project is 


"Common Inspiration--Uncommon Creations." 


Each day in April, I will feature media from the Wikimedia Commons ("a database of 16,565,065 freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute") along with bits and pieces of my brainstorming and both unfinished and finished poems.

I will be using the media to inspire my poetry, but I am going to invite my students to use my daily media picks to inspire any original creation: poems, stories, comics, music, videos, sculptures, drawings...anything!

You are invited to join the fun, too! Leave a link to your creation in the comments and I'll add it to that day's post. I'll add pictures of my students' work throughout the month as well.

6 comments:

  1. I hunger for the clouds
    heavy with rain
    hovering over the lake
    where we used to swim under the full moon.

    If I could,
    I would reach up and grab us both a handful
    so that we could once again chew on the past,
    letting memories dribble down our chins
    as raindrops falling in spring
    before flowers bloom ...

    instead, we worry about the rumble of thunder
    in the distance
    and find ourselves fretting
    about what the clouds might bring.

    --Kevin

    The Podcast: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0K4oYp3p0sc

    PS -- I took some lines from the poems I have been writing here, and over with Bud the Teacher, and created this found poem: ReDiscovered Lines.
    http://youtu.be/-KWLEfa81IY

    PSS -- thanks for inspiring the writing every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a place to live. It is an amazing photo-even hard to believe it's real. Like Kevin, thanks for inspiring, Mary Lee. Is it from the viewpoint of the rowboat, or a further metaphor of the poet? Here's mine:

    The reflections
    soon to be muddied
    in his mind.
    Storm coming!

    I look for answers
    in the rhyme;
    there is no time.
    The storm is coming.

    Mirror in the water-
    clear, now churning.
    Still, in this moment
    I am yearning.

    Storm is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this, Linda! Thanks for writing with us today!

      Delete
    2. PS--In answer to your POV question -- BOTH! Glad you picked up on that!

      Delete
  3. Not sure how this will lay out in the comment box…

    "Closer"

    skymeetswatermeetssky
    in bluegraygreenwhiteworld
    wherecliffmeetslakemeetscliff
    andlightmeetsshadowmeets
    darkmeetslightmeetsdark
    thelinesbetween
    heavenandearth
    areblurred
    andperhaps
    wearecloser
    toheaven
    thanwewillever
    know.

    (c) Carol Wilcox, 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous. I'll make it look like your post.

      Delete

Comment moderation is turned on.