Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Poetry Friday Roundup is Here!




by Anne Vittur Kennedy
Candlewick Press, 2014

As the farmer drives away from the barn on his tractor, the farm animals (and other assorted animal friends) can be heard exclaiming, 
neigh neigh baa baa quack quack tweet
arf oink ree ree cluck cluck cheep!
And then the fun begins! The animals take a float trip down the river, have a picnic, ride a roller coaster, go water skiing, fly in a dirigible and have a formal evening dance. But all good things must come to an end. Dog alerts the animals
arf! ARF! ARF! ARF! ARF! afr! arf!
ARF! arf! afr! ARF! arf! ARF! arf!
And all (well, almost all) are back in place by the time the farmer has parked the tractor in the barn.

This delightful book, as you can probably tell from my two quotes, is told all in rhyming animal noises! As with all the best picture books, there is as much (or more) of the story going on in the pictures as in the text. You'll have as much fun reading this one aloud as your audience will have listening and joining in!




Just like the farmer is away from the farm, I am away from the blog today. Share your link via Mr. Linky and I'll look forward to reading all of your posts when I am home from the All Write conference on Saturday!













19 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun book, Mary Lee. AND I'm looking forward to seeing you at ILA! Hope our schedules overlap at least a little. Are you speaking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun book!
    Enjoy the conference -- and thanks for hosting :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun book! Emu says, "What am I, chopped liver?" I tried to explain that not all animal books are about him, but he thinks they should be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the kind of gutteral sound an emu makes, I've flirted with many for fun.
      But what kind of sound does the rabbit make, I've never heard a one.

      Delete
    2. I saw what you did there, Joy! Cute ditty. :)

      Delete
  4. Love all those animal sounds! Sounds like a mischievous bunch.
    Have a great time at the conference, and thanks for hosting this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree -- sounds like such a cute, fun book. Thanks for hosting, and have a great time at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm subbing a farm animal book right now, and although it's quite different from this, I'm eager to check this out to compare and contrast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my comment to Michelle--do you have a rabbit?

      Delete
  7. Mary Lee, I enjoyed your lead in from the book to your absence from the blog today. Your reason is a fitting one. You and other friends are enjoying the benefits of All Write 2015. I have been following by reading the tweets. Thank you for hosting today and please let me know if I can sign up to host a round-up at the beginning of next year. I am still waiting to hear when I should schedule my rotator cuff surgery and don't like thinking that I will not be able to use one hand for several weeks. Enjoy the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, gosh. I'm going to love this. I find myself singing these lines to the alphabet song! :) Thank you for hosting, even from afar. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting, Mary Lee. I can't wait to check out this exuberant romp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:33 AM

    Thanks for hosting today, Mary Lee, and for sharing this book. Can't wait to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting! The book sounds wonderful - it reminds me of my kids' favorite board book when they were babies, Barnyard Dance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for hosting today, Mary Lee. Anne's book sounds amazing--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did my comment get eaten? Or did I not hit Publish? Who knows???
    Anyway, The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh! sounds adorable. My library has it so it's on hold. Thanks so much for hosting, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary Lee,
    You should win a bucket of farm-fresh blueberries & some buttery (from the cow) cornbread for bringing this fun picture book to us.
    It makes me want to practice my oink! & ARF! to read aloud about the farmer being away for K & 1st grade storytime when the calendar rolls around to school again. ( I read with BookPALS & am not a classroom teacher.)
    Appreciations for opening the barn door on this lively title.
    And tnx for those conference images.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun book! Fantastic conference! Thanks for hosting, busy lady! =)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.