Monday, January 15, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

One of my 2019 goals is to balance my reading life a bit. This week felt balance and I read some great books.  Thanks to Jen and Kellee for hosting this weekly event!


I know Mary Lee already wrote about LOVE here on the blog but if you have not read this book, buy it now--and buy one for everyone you know. This is an amazing book. I keep picking it up and reading it, seeing new things in the incredible illustrations. Matt de la Pena and Loren Long--WOW!


I am so happy I am making some time for more young adult reading in my life. I heard about Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu from Pernille Ripp and Donalyn Miller and I am so glad I read this one. What a great book--so many great characters and teen girls starting a feminist revolution, questioning things the way they've always been done in their high school.


Don't Forget Dexter by Lindsay Ward is a fun picture book for young readers. Dexter is a fun new character that loses his friend in the doctor's office. This is a fun story of Dexter looking for Jack. This book is filled with talking bubbles and humor and of course has a happy ending. I think Dexter is a new character that we'll be seeing more of. A great book for primary kids and I am keeping this one in mind for baby/toddler gifts too.

I am so glad to have received a copy of Festival of Colors by Surishtha Sehgal. This is a great addition to any classroom library.  This book is a celebration of Holi, the Indian festival of colors. It is simple story but the gorgeous illustrations and Author's Note make it a great one for any age.

A Refugee's Journey from Syria is another I read this week.  I learned about this series from Aliza Werner. So glad to know about it. This is the first book in the series that I read.  A few of my students have read it already too.  This is an incredible series that is well-written for middle grade students--packed with information and stories of refugees. I purchased a few more from the series for my classroom this week.

I also read two newish picture books about Malala. I am always looking for books that share important topics and issues with middle grade students.  These are two very different book about the important work of Malala and I am happy to add both of them to our classroom library.  Malala's Pencil and Malala: Activist for Girls' Education


11 comments:

  1. I shared Love today, too, and it is marvelous! Moxie is on my list and thanks for the book about Syria, a new title to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the Malala books but will have to look for the refugee series. I really need titles about Bhutan and Nepal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is getting lots of love lately, as well it should! Beautiful book. I read one of the Malala books, but not the other so I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've pretty much determined that I must purchase Love this week. Luckily Kidsbooks, our local children's book store is having a sale this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Malala"s Magic Pencil and it stirred up several rich conversations in our classroom. Several readers reserved other books to learn more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malala's Magic Pencil is a favourite of mine - among all the PBBs on Malala that I've read thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And yes, I just bought Love by Matt de la Pena! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.