Saturday, December 07, 2019

Poetry Friday -- Advice


Unsplash photo by Joel Muniz


Be kind to yourself. 
Empty your bucket and then... 
be kind to yourself.

©Mary Lee Hahn, 2019


"Never be afraid 
of showing someone you love 
a draft of yourself."

(from the author's note in EVERYONE BRAVE IS FORGIVEN by Chris Cleave)


I'm sure I'm not the only one whose bucket is or has been empty. These #haikuforkindness are a reminder that we need to take care of ourselves. There can be no #haikuforjustice if we don't put the oxygen mask on ourselves first.

 
Tanita has the Poetry Friday roundup at [fiction, instead of lies].


12 comments:

  1. The words we should keep close, Mary Lee. Thanks for reminding with your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four words we need to remember in this season of busyness - "be kind to yourself." And your post reminds me that I want to read Everyone Brave is Forgiven. Requesting it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder about being kind to ourselves. Certainly if we want to be at our best to help others, we need to make sure we're up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that little turn. "Empty your bucket, then... be kind to yourself." No more instructions.

    I also will hold close the idea of being a DRAFT of myself. A writer learns to be kind about drafts, knowing one must write them to get through to the final version of a story... we are all in draft form. Profoundly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I ask loved ones in grief to consider...being kind to themselves. It's not what we do first. Your haiku is a beautiful reminder to all of us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I like "empty your bucket too" for there may be layers in there waiting to be cleared…thanks for this poem and all the lovely paint buckets Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post, Mary Lee. The "draft" concept is something for me to tuck away.
    Buckets are something that come up a lot in our house (because of chronic illness). My daughter has to keep an eye on her bucket. It can be darn hard to empty it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the wise and timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need to tattoo this one on my arm, Mary Lee...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true, Mary Lee. So why is it so hard to do???

    ReplyDelete
  11. The week has whisked by and I need your reminder to be kind to myself. Love that poem because in a few words it says so much. Thank you, Marly Lee.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.