Sunday, February 22, 2009

20th Annual Dublin Literacy Conference Series


Saturday's DUBLIN LITERACY CONFERENCE was great fun! So many great speakers and authors. This year was the 20th year for the conference. It is a conference planned by teachers in the Dublin City Schools. Between 600 and 800 teachers from around Ohio (and beyond) attend each year. This year's was another great year of learning and conversations.

Many of the concurrent sessions are run by classroom teachers, librarians, administrators, etc. We also hire keynote and featured speakers for many of the sessions. This year, we had 4 professional authors and 5 children's authors. Throughout the week, we will be sharing highlights, new books and new thinking from this year's conference.

I picked up Asma Mobin-Uddin's upcoming book A PARTY IN RAMADAN. A great book and so happy to have a copy. This is the story of Leena, who is invited to a party on the first day of Ramadan. The story takes us through Leena's day--fasting while at a party with friends. As a reader, I learned some of the things that are important about fasting on this day and what the day might be like for some children. A great story by a great author. This book is due out in spring. If you don't know her other books, MY NAME IS BILAL and THE BEST EID EVER, they are all great books --I can't keep the Eid book in the library. The author's website is also full of great resources--children's booklists, columns, information about author visits, and more. So glad I was able to get to know this author and her newest book!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:02 AM

    I just read, and loved, this book yesterday. It's so worthy of mention since it's on a topic I don't know enough about. S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting us know about this book. We need more books on important holidays that our students are part of. It helps create understanding among ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary Lee,
    Thanks for coming by. I believe I added your blog to my list already, but if not, doing so. Teachers rock!

    Didn't know about Ms. Forman's other collection. In fact, I have to replace the one I had. I loaned my copy out to a fellow poet.

    Intersted in so much you have here. Adding the Ramadan book to our wish list. Hopefully we'll get a donation or I'll get it on trade soon.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you aware of the Arabesq festival at the Kennedy Center in D.C.? I saw a segment on the Newshour about it. I'm going to their website to learn more.

    I live in Detroit. I believe we have the largest Arab American population in the country.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.