Friday, January 08, 2010

Predicting the Caldecott and Newbery Winners 2010

Well, it is that time of year again--the whole reason we started this blog in the first place! "The 2010 ALA Youth Media Awards will be held during the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston on Monday, January 18, at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center! The announcements will begin at 7:45 a.m. and will be once again covered on Twitter

(www.twitter.com/alayma)." And, as always, I can hardly wait!


This week, our wonderful Dublin Branch librarian, Loren Scully came to work with our 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. She shared criteria for the Caldecott medal and showed some past winners-things she has noticed about them since they've won. She also shared several new books that are getting a "buzz" and shared some different techniques that illustrators use. It was a great few days of learning and every class was glued to all that Loren had to say. Next week, the kids will have a chance to take a look at 70 of the best picture books from 2009 trying to predict the one that they think will win. Loren's prediction for the Caldecott Medal? The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney. After she shared this one with kids, many kids agreed that it was truly amazing.

My very favorite picture book of the year, as you all know is OTIS by Loren Long and it is my hope and prediction for the Caldecott. Really, if you take a close look, it is clear that Loren Long is quite brilliant. (Adrienne Furness fell hard for this one too:-) I love The Lion and the Mouse (who doesn't?) too so I will be thrilled with either one. The other book that I think would be a great winner is CHICKEN LITTLE--it might make my "Books I Can Read a Million Times" but I haven't tried it out yet. I love it more every time I read it.

And what about the Newbery? I am so not sure this year--well, honestly, I am never right so this is nothing new. But, I just don't know. I LOVED UMBRELLA SUMMER by Lisa Graff. I LOVED WHEN YOU REACH ME by Rebecca Stead and I LOVED ALSO KNOWN AS HARPER by Ann Haywood Leal. I LOVED 11 BIRTHDAYS. It is very fun and smart--I am a huge Wendy Mass fan. I know that these predictions aren't really supposed to be about the books I love, but this year, I decided to go that way.

The problem is, I still have so many great books on my next-read pile. Books I have heard such great things about. There are also lots of great YA books that could win but I am thinking those will win the Printz.

BIll and Karen over at Literate Lives are doing their "Looking for Newbery" series again--reviewing one book a day that they believe is a contender. So many great books! And don't miss the ongoing conversation at Heavy Medal. And lots of the Mock Award committees will be meeting this week to do their final voting.

So, my predictions could definitely change by the 18th. I just love the anticipation of it all and the talk about the books afterward. The Columbus bloggers will be celebrating the awards together that morning--no matter what they may be-so it should be a fun day for sure:-)


15 comments:

  1. I will be extremely surprised if Pinkney doesn't win the Caldecott this year. It's about time and for a gorgeous book. What shows up on the list tends to surprise me, but I'm thinking that All the World is a strong contender.

    For Newbery, I can't say that either will win for sure, but I expect to see When You Reach Me and Calpurnia Tate on the list.

    But I've certainly been wrong before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up a long time ago trying to guess what would be on the lists I just get excited when I happen to already have the books on my shelves when they are announced as winners.

    I have When You Reach Me on my to-read pile. It took two book orders for it to finally arrive this week. I'm hoping to booktalk it to my sixth graders in a couple of weeks -- it would be really cool if I could say, "and it just won the Newbery!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about which books to review in this last week before the Newbery. Thanks for the Umbrella Summer reminder. Because of your rec, I read it and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All great picks, when are you going to finalize your choices? I was really glad to see Also Known as Harper on your list, I think it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have made some excellent picks (or maybe I just like the same books as you!) Fingers crossed that your predictions come true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool thing, to have a librarian come in to speak about the Caldecott to kids! I wish I'd gotten to experience something like that in grade school--not that I needed any encouragement to read. :)

    Thanks, Mary Lee, for stopping by our blog celebration for Tanita!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:19 AM

    Well, Mary Lee, you are causing my TBR list to burst at the seams. Thanks for your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful to find another site that lists books I've not read. As far as the Caldecott and Newberry awards go, I never try to guess. Too many goo ones out there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:54 PM

    I haven't read enough of these titles to make a TRUE educated enough guess (just as I haven't seen enough movies to properly predict the Oscars or heard enough records to properly predict the Grammys. Though sometimes I wonder if the Academy has either. I tend to trust the librarians, though! In the end, I tend to pick the ones I've actually read (in this case that would be the Lion and the Mouse and When You Reach Me.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My choice for the Caldecott is Tsunami! The longer I think about and process Ed Young's illustrations, the greater their impact one me. It's a powerful book with a beautiful message.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only novel I've read from your list is WHEN YOU REACH ME. My To-read pile is TOO big as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Over here in the UK the Caldecott and Newbery awards don't receive the attention they should - it's a real shame. Of course the book press will pick them up, but bookshops and librarians don't really seem to notice it seems :-( But I guess that might be the same with some UK prizes not being widely known about in the US too. Anyway, this post definitely captures the excitement of anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your choices Franki! My 4th graders are busy reading many of the best books for 2009 and having some amazing discussions! Bought Otis this past weekend on your recommendation and LOVED it! My other favorites for the Caldecott are Chicken Little, All the World, The Odd Egg and Lion and the Mouse. Really so many great ones to choose from though. The Newbury is a tougher one for me. Loved Also Known as Harper, The Year the Swallows Came Early, and 11 Birthdays. When You Reach Me is in my TBR pile along with Calpurnia Tate and Umbrella Summer. Can't wait for the announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought and read Otis over Christmas. I'm from a rural area, and the book is so touching and heartwarming. Every farmer (or lover of tractors and cows) out there should own a copy. We also read Pinkney's book. The illustrations are amazing. Another of my favorites is The Curious Garden by Peter Brown.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.