Monday, January 18, 2010

WINNERS!

Last year, I totally had to concede to Franki -- only she and our bookstore friends, Beth and Sally, had read The Graveyard Book. This year, Bill, Karen and I get to be in the picture, too! Congratulations to Rebecca Stead and When You Reach Me for winning the Newbery Award! (Sally has The Shiny Stickers in her hand, ready to put on all the copies of books that hadn't already been sold!)



Here's the hash (sweet potato with smoked turkey, eggs over hard)...







And here are the Central OH bloggers who were able to get together today for the re-hash of the awards: which books won, which didn't, which we read, which we haven't, and which intern at Random House Kids lost their job this morning because they Tweeted the Newbery Award at least 5 minutes before it had been awarded from the podium.


We reconvened at Cover to Cover for more book talk and, of course, to buy some books. Pictured are (back row) Mandy, Bill, Kristine, Katie, Shelly, (front row) Franki, Karen, Mary Lee, and Lisa. We were joined for breakfast by Tony.


You can see many of the winners in our hands.
All the winners are listed here.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:00 PM

    I totally love this idea! I am going to try and get it started in the Portland area for next year. The food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you all, but ended up being sick this weekend anyway... :(
    I didn't read the Newbery this year, but I did read the Newbery Honor book The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg. Can you believe I picked it up off the table as an ARC when we went to Cover To Cover for the first time together??? Great book, I thought. I was excited for having read at least that book. I have been a real slacker, however I have had a wonderful year anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a shock, but what a totally wonderful morning this was! I'm still basking in the glory of being in THE picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great to catch up with everyone at CTC and visit for a bit. Til next year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Columbus is truly a kid-lit and kid-lit-blogger hub. What's in the water?

    I predicted Claudette Colvin would win the Newbery. I'm never right! But what a fun day. I was so happy to see all the tweets and newspaper updates about children's books today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really need to do this more often, I get more out of our 2 or 3 hours of conversation than all of the PDTs put together. The pancakes were good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorites never win - until today. The Lion and the Mouse and Benny and Penny in the Big No-No. Looks like your gang had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I concur with Bill...a little conversation about what all we're doing, issues, and thoughts is better than all the planned professional development. Thanks for the invite and looking forward to thinking the Iweb through/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you all had a great time. So sorry I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MIss you guys! You all look great and like always, you had tons of fun. Im still recovering from the Cultural Festival that I just host on Friday. It was wishful thinking from my part to think I was going to make it. Take care my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:52 PM

    Next year i WILL be in that picture.
    What a fun morning-Thanks so much for organizing Mary Lee!
    It was great seeing you.
    I'm passing that Dublin Literacy flyer out to everyone over here.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.