Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Eve Poetry Friday Is Here!

A CHRISTMAS EVE WISH FOR YOU

May the lights be twinkley and bright,
cheerful and wish-upon-able.


May the treats be made,
given,
ample,
(and sampled).


May the day be filled with
all that you love,
all whom you love,
all kinds of wonder and joy,

and an abundance of poetry!


Schedule change reminder: Next week we'll be celebrating New Year's Eve with Carol at Carol's Corner.


Diane is in first with her trifecta of offerings: "Shoplifting Poetry" at Random Noodling, a Poetry Friday quote at Kurious K's Kwotes, and "The Donkey's Song" from Jane Yolen's HARK! A CHRISTMAS SAMPLER at Kurious Kitty's Kurio Kabinet.

Sally considers the bittersweet side of Christmas memories with a Victorian poem at The Write Sisters.

Amy (nice hat!) has poem #30 in her Friday series of poems about poems at The Poem Farm. (It's #269 in her poem-a-day challenge that she's kept since last April!)

Tabatha has a poetic tribute to Atlas at The Opposite of Indifference. And you thought the weight of the world was heavy on your shoulders...

Laura Shovan found the picture book that tells the family story behind Clement Moore's "A Night Before Christmas."  Perfect timing! Check it out at Author Amok.

Laura Salas sends us a holiday greeting in haiku at Writing the World for Kids, and also the week's 15 Words or Less Poems, inspired by "metal mountains."

Madigan reviews UBIQUITOUS at Madigan Reads.

Sally shares a Christmas carol at Castle in the Sea.

Elaine has a Christmas memoir poem at Wild Rose Reader and more Christmas memories at Wild Rose Reader.

Andromeda blesses us with some Rumi, a question to ponder, and a beautiful photo at a wrung sponge.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Carol for sharing two FABULOUS versions of the Hallelujah Chorus with us today. They both bring tears to my eyes -- the Holy brought down to Earth in the most unlikely but most Human of all places. The message of the day is at Carol's Corner (and follow the link to Cynthia Lord's place).

An e.e. cummings Christmas Eve greeting comes to us from Jules at 7-Imp.

We've got another carol of the season from Ruth at There is no such thing as a God-forsaken town -- the original words to Hark the Herald, Angels Sing. Within this poem is Ruth's wish for Haiti this season.

Blythe has a star, a tree, a moon, the Solstice and a wish for the season at her place.

Jone shares an original shadorma at Check it Out.

Shari at Shari Doyle reviews Jane Yolen's Snow, Snow, and a great montage of holiday pictures, complete with cookies and cats!

Head over to Live. Love. Explore! where Irene has a vlog of a Christmas poem from her new book.

Jennie at Biblio File has got the birth of every blessed child on her mind in this season of birth and new beginnings. Sounds like there will be a new baby in her house come summer solstice! Congrats, Jennie!

Shelley's ongoing tale of "poems about the old days" -- the Dust Bowl days -- can be found at Rain: A Dust Bowl Story.

24 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Lee! Happy Holidays! Hope yours are wonderful. I am leaving town this afternoon, and I am not ready yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary Lee! Have a great holiday!

    At Random Noodling I have a poem by Martin Steingesser called, "Shoplifting Poetry," and, at Kurious K's Kwotes' the P.F. quote is by Steingesser, a former Maine Poet Laureate.

    Kurious Kitty has "The Donkey's Song" by Jane Yolen.

    All three are scheduled to post after midnight. Thanks for letting us post our links early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally considers the bittersweet side of Christmas memories with a Victorian poem at The Write Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for hosting on such a busy day, Mary Lee! I'm in with #30 in my series of poems about poems...this time it's about skating a poem! Merry Christmas! A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And of course, I forgot the link:
    http://poemfarm.blogspot.com/2010/12/poetry-friday-poem-269-poem-on-ice.html
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My post wasn't up before, but now it is:
    http://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/2010/12/hero-hero.html

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Mary Lee. Thanks for the holiday wishes!

    I promised a few PF folks that I'd find my copy of "The Visit" -- a picture book that tells the story behind the poem, "The Night Before Christmas."

    It's a beautiful book, with verse in the rhyme and meter of Clement Moore's poem, and rich illustrations.

    http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2010/12/poetry-friday-visit.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Mary Lee, for the holiday wishes! And for hosting.

    I'm in with a haiku I wrote for my online holiday card at http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/254377.html

    And 15 Words Or less poems at http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/254144.html

    Merry Christmas! And thanks again for stepping in this year and getting Poetry Friday back on track. I'm so appreciative of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Mary Lee! Love the poem you posted.
    I have a review of Ubiquitous by Joyce Sidman up on my blog, Madigan Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for hosting! I have an oldie-but-beauty by G.K. Chesterton at Castle in the Sea.

    A beautiful season to all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary Lee,

    Thanks for doing the roundup at such a busy time of year. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

    At Wild Rose Reader, I have a Christmas memoir poem titled "Remember."

    http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2010/12/remember-original-memoir-poem-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting Mary Lee! Your poetry and photos are a treat in themselves.

    I have a few lines from Rumi today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in, kind of, if you can call a song poetry, with a Christmas blessing for all of the friends who bring the gift of poetry into my life every Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm back!

    At Blue Rose Girls, I have another memoir poem titled "The Christmas Babka."

    http://bluerosegirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/poetry-friday-christmas-babka.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas to you wonderful ladies.

    I'm generally disorganized this week, but I came to say hi and see there is still a Poetry Friday going on. I put up a post today that actually fits: the re-printing of e.e. cummings' "little tree," illustrated by Deborah Kogan Ray. It's here: http://blaine.org/sevenimpossiblethings/?p=2051.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a well-known Christmas carol today, in a slightly unfamiliar version (the original). Thanks for hosting!

    Here's my post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for being here. All good to you in the coming year.

    Today on Squat All I have a shape poem, "A Christmas Tree" by William Burford and a video of a fire lantern launch on Solstice.

    http://blythewoolston.blogspot.com/2010/12/tiny-star-for-poetry-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Hi Mary Lee. Thank you for hosting today. I love your photos and thoughts for the day. Here is mine, and orginal shadorma: http://maclibrary.wordpress.com/2010/12/24/poetry-friday/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for hosting Mary Lee! This week I am sharing a few thoughts on Jane Yolen's Snow, Snow: Winter Poems for Children. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mary Lee! Thanks so much for hosting. I'm in with a vlog of an original Christmas poem from my new book. Merry, merry! http://irenelatham.blogspot.com/2010/12/love-poem-with-christmas-lights.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary Lee, thanks for hosting and all the great links. My mind's on cookies and Chex mix today, though all being made to the good music of the season, so I'm getting in my poetry that way. But unless I get inspired later, I'm not posting. But did want to wish you a merry season of reading, eating, and all the pleasures of your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for hosting!

    I'm in with "Each Night a Child is Born is a Holy Night"

    http://www.jenrothschild.com/2010/12/poetry-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Skipping by to wish you a wonderful holiday, Mary Lee, and to thank you for organizing the PF schedule for all of us.

    Here are some virtual cookies and egg nog. Hope you get lucky under the mistletoe :D . . .

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous1:36 PM

    I think I finally figured out how to "sign in" here! And a very merry Christmas to you, Mary Lee.

    My link: http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com
    Poems about the Old Days.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.