Friday, June 03, 2011

Poetry Friday: Dictionaries


(Click on the image to enlarge it.) This is an original dictionary created by one of my fourth graders. You have to admit, it's pretty amazing! It's an ongoing project, and it inspired many of the other students in my class to create original words. 

If the speaker in the following poem had done his book report on the Korindictionary, he would have been way more entertained:

BOOK REPORT ON THE DICTIONARY
by
Gregory K.

I found the plot missing,
The dialog weak.
I kept waiting and waiting for someone to speak.

The characters bored me.
In fact, there weren’t any!
The jokes were not funny, and there weren’t too many.

(the rest of the poem is here)



Toby is hosting the Poetry Friday round up at The Writer's Armchair. Let's go check out the words and poems everyone has chosen to share this week!

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of making your own personal dictionary!

    My favorite line from Greg's poem:

    And what type of ending is “zymotic, zymurgy”?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post. That student dictionary *is* amazing. Great project!

    Greg's poem made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great project. What fun! I was sure "tofuasture" would have something to do with tofu and fasting, but I was wrong. I like your students' definition better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Looks like an amazing project. I'd be sure to recommend it to my teacher students here in Singapore. Nice! You got imaginative/creative students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to use this in my classroom. Great practice for appreciating words, as well as parts of speech. The kids can really take ownership of their learning with a class dictionary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great project! And tofuasture is a word we need, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.